Single Vineyard Alizarine 2013
Grapes: 100% Malbec
Single Vineyard Alizarine was introduced in 2001, making Alta Vista the first Argentine winery to produce single vineyard wines. Utilizing the Terroir Management® system for wine growing and winemaking, Alta Vista uses grapes grown in distinctive sites to craft unique wines that show the true characteristics of each vineyard. All Single Vineyard wines are aged for 12 months in new French oak barrels and another 6 months in bottle. The vineyard is situated above 3,000 feet elevation in Luján de Cuyo. Very poor soils are permeable, composed of silty clay loam with a layer of boulders 3-6 ft. deep. Irrigation is traditional, with water from the Andes, in a mild, arid climate. The proximity of hills prevents the risk of spring frost since cold air currents descend from the Mendoza River bed. Selection massale vines planted in 1923 are simple Guyot pruned and yield compact grape clusters. This vineyard's wine shows a floral bouquet, good acidity and round, elegant tannins.
Wine Enthusiast2013 vintage
2013 was an atypical vintage for Argentina. Vineyards did not suffer sanitary pressure of any kind. The crop volume per acre was above the average because budburst was gentle; thanks to the humidity into the soil. Zonda winds did not affect the flowering and dehydration of berries was hardly found. As a consequence, the alcohol content in wines is lower than usual (0.50 alc. / vol. in average) and acidity levels are better than usual (0.2 to 0.3 pH). Usually the intensity of aromas of flowers / fruits is over the average. The antocyans were highly extractable this year. The red wines show deep color. Generally the concentration of the wines is on the average, without excess. Entry and mid level wines are usually well fruit driven. Bleeding was necessary to concentrate high end wines. The style appears in line with 2011 and 2007. Equilibrium seems to be the master descriptor of this vintage.
A deep ruby-colored wine with aromas reminiscent of spices, chocolate, ripe fruit and some animal scents. In the mouth, it has great structure with soft tannins and long finish.
This wine is a great match with grilled grass-fed beef steak or roast suckling pig.
GRAPES: 100% Malbec
RESIDUAL SUGAR: 3.00 g/l
points of distinction
- Low yields of only 1 bottle per vine
- Alta Vista was first to produce single vineyard vines in Argentina
- Old vineyard planted in 1923
- Limited production
about the grape +
Well-made Malbec is a dark, perfumed wine with rich, blackberry and damson plum fruit, aromas of violets and tobacco, and ripe, juicy tannins. In France, may be mineral, structured and austere.
Alta Vista's Terroir Expression Winemakers® became the first in Argentina to produce single vineyard Malbec wines, each representing the unique characteristics of their high elevation, estate vineyards.
- quick view new Alta Vista Atemporal Blend
- quick view Alta Vista Alto
- quick view Alta Vista Single Vineyard Serenade
- quick view Alta Vista Single Vineyard Temis
- quick view Alta Vista Terroir Selection Malbec
- quick view Alta Vista Estate Malbec
- quick view Alta Vista Estate Cabernet Sauvignon
- quick view Alta Vista Estate Torrontés
- quick view Alta Vista Vive Rosé
- quick view Alta Vista Vive Malbec
- quick view Alta Vista Vive Cabernet Sauvignon
- quick view new Alta Vista Brut Rosé of Malbec
- quick view new Alta Vista Brut Rosé
- quick view new Alta Vista Brut Blanc de Blancs
- quick view new Alta Vista Brut Nature