Single Vineyard Alizarine 2012
Grapes: 100% Malbec
Single Vineyard Alizarine was introduced in 2001, making Alta Vista the first Argentine winery to produce single vineyard wines. Utilizing the Terroir Management® system for wine growing and winemaking, Alta Vista uses grapes grown in distinctive sites to craft unique wines that show the true characteristics of each vineyard. All Single Vineyard wines are aged for 12 months in new French oak barrels and another 6 months in bottle. The vineyard is situated above 3,000 feet elevation in Luján de Cuyo. Very poor soils are permeable, composed of silty clay loam with a layer of boulders 3-6 ft. deep. Irrigation is traditional, with water from the Andes, in a mild, arid climate. The proximity of hills prevents the risk of spring frost since cold air currents descend from the Mendoza River bed. Selection massale vines planted in 1927 are simple Guyot pruned and yield compact grape clusters. This vineyard's wine shows a floral bouquet, good acidity and round, elegant tannins.
Wine Advocate2012 vintage
For Mendoza’s high altitude vineyards, 2012’s particularly warm temperatures produced average-to-low yields of excellent quality fruit. Winter was very windy and dry, with little snow or rain, as was the beginning of spring. The end of November brought crucial rainfall. Budding came late and the spring brought strong winds that affected flowering, especially in Uco Valley. Summer and autumn were quite hot and dry, yet thermal amplitude was normal. 2012 was a late, gentle vintage for those who kept yields low.
With a deep ruby color, this wine has a bouquet that reminds of spices, chocolate, ripe fruits with animal notes. Once in mouth, it expresses its great structure with soft tannins and a long finish.
This wine is a great match with grilled grass-fed beef steak or roast suckling pig.
GRAPES: 100% Malbec
ACIDITY: 6.72 g/l
AGING: 100% is aged in small French oak barrels during 12 months.
points of distinction
- Low yields of only 1 bottle per vine
- Alta Vista was first to produce single vineyard vines in Argentina
- Old vineyard planted in 1927
- Limited production
about the grape +
Well-made Malbec is a dark, perfumed wine with rich, blackberry and damson plum fruit, aromas of violets and tobacco, and ripe, juicy tannins. In France, may be mineral, structured and austere.
Alta Vista's Terroir Expression Winemakers® became the first in Argentina to produce single vineyard Malbec wines, each representing the unique characteristics of their high elevation, estate vineyards.
- quick view new Alta Vista Atemporal Blend
- quick view Alta Vista Alto
- quick view Alta Vista Single Vineyard Serenade
- quick view Alta Vista Single Vineyard Temis
- quick view Alta Vista Terroir Selection Malbec
- quick view Alta Vista Estate Malbec
- quick view Alta Vista Estate Cabernet Sauvignon
- quick view Alta Vista Estate Torrontés
- quick view Alta Vista Vive Rosé
- quick view Alta Vista Vive Malbec
- quick view Alta Vista Vive Cabernet Sauvignon
- quick view new Alta Vista Brut Rosé of Malbec
- quick view new Alta Vista Brut Rosé
- quick view new Alta Vista Brut Blanc de Blancs
- quick view new Alta Vista Brut Nature