Late Bottled Vintage Porto 2013
/ Douro Valley Porto
Grapes: Touriga Nacional, Touriga Francesa, Tinto Cão, Tinta Roriz, Tinta Barroca
Taylor Fladgate were pioneers of the LBV category, developed to satisfy the demand for a high quality ready-to-drink alternative to vintage port for everyday consumption. Unlike vintage port, which is bottled after only two years in wood and ages in bottle, LBV is bottled after four to six years and is ready to drink when bottled. Taylor Fladgate continues to lead the LBV category of port worldwide, in spite of the fact that many other shippers now also produce an LBV. The wines used to blend Taylor Fladgate LBV were drawn from a reserve of some of the best full bodied red ports from grapes grown on Taylor Fladgate owned vineyards and on other top properties in the Cima Corgo and Douro Superior areas.
Wine Advocate2013 vintage
Wine Spectator Advance2013 vintage
The preceding winter was very wet, with rainfall 30% above the norm. This replenished water reserves depleted by the arid conditions of 2012. The growing season was dry with only 4 inches of rain between April and August. As a result the vines were almost free of disease. The early growing season was relatively cool leading to slow growth and a late vérasion around July 15th. July and August saw some very high temperatures which accelerated the cycle and encouraged ripening of the crop. The hot weather extended into September but some rainfall early in the month helped to round off the ripening. Picking started on September 18th. Harvesting conditions were excellent until September 27th when there was heavy rainfall. Fortunately the best grapes were under cover by this time and produced deeply colored, aromatic musts.
Deep purple ruby color. Aromatic nose of black woodland fruit, dark cherry and plum with some balsamic herbal scents and a hint of exotic wood. Lovely clean, crisp freshness to the bouquet. The palate is rounded, smooth and well balanced. Flavors of redcurrant, raspberry and blueberry in abundance, with a delicious hint of black liquorice, violets and lovely spice. In true Taylor style, the wine is very well structured with big firm tannins that hold the wine nicely together. The finish is wonderfully long with a hint of cocoa.
Excellent with fully flavored cheeses, especially blue cheeses such as Stilton or Roquefort. It is also delicious with desserts made with chocolate or berry fruits.
GRAPES: Touriga Nacional, Touriga Francesa, Tinto Cão, Tinta Roriz, Tinta Barroca
ACIDITY: 3.94 g/l
RESIDUAL SUGAR: 101 g/l
points of distinction
- A Late Bottled Vintage Porto from the inventor of the category.
- LBVs offer some of the characteristics of Vintage Porto but with no time required for bottle aging.
about the grape +
Tinta Amarela makes wines with intensely perfumed aromas of blackberry and tea, bold structure, deep color and excellent depth.
Used to make Port wines, this high yielding grape has very high sugar content, which makes wines with pronounced floral character, good structure and firm, ripe tannins.
This grape has blackberry, game and meaty aromas, and contributes longevity and exceptional elegance to the blend of Port wines.
Tinta Roriz produces deep-colored grapes of moderate acidity which make bold wines with firm tannins, excellent complexity and distinctive resin-like fragrance.
This grape has high tannins and is very aromatic; it lends structure and balance to Port wines. It shows intense fresh red fruit, earth and flower aromas, and is very fruity on the palate.
Touriga Nacional produces wine with finesse, body and warmth that is dark, concentrated, massively tannic and aromatic. It ages to show the complex aromas typically found in mature vintage port.
– Adrian Bridge, CEO
“As the inventors of the late bottled vintage category, I believe it is important for us to set very high standards for this excellent Port.”
- quick view new Taylor Fladgate Chip Dry White Porto
- quick view new Taylor Fladgate Historical Collection Reserve Tawny
- quick view new Taylor Fladgate 325th Anniversary Reserve Tawny Port
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 1968 Single Harvest Tawny
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 1967 Single Harvest Tawny
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 1966 Single Harvest Tawny
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 1965 Single Harvest Tawny
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 1964 Single Harvest Tawny
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 1863 Single Harvest Tawny
- quick view Taylor Fladgate First Estate Reserve Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 10 Year Old Tawny Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 20 Year Old Tawny Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 30 Year Old Tawny Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 40 Year Old Tawny Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate Fine Ruby
- quick view Taylor Fladgate Fine Tawny
- quick view Taylor Fladgate Classic Vintage Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate Quinta de Vargellas Vintage Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate Quinta de Vargellas Vinha Velha Vintage Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate Scion