Late Bottled Vintage Porto 2012
/ Douro Valley Porto
Grapes: Touriga Nacional, Touriga Franca, Tinta Barroca, Tinta Roriz, Tinto Cão, Tinta Amarela
Taylor Fladgate created the LBV category, to satisfy the demand for a high quality ready-to-drink alternative to vintage port. Unlike vintage port, which is bottled after only two years in wood and ages in bottle, LBV is bottled after four to six years and is ready to drink when bottled. Taylor Fladgate’s LBV continues to set the standard for the category. The wines used to blend Taylor Fladgate LBV were drawn from a reserve of some of the best full bodied red ports, produced during the 2012 harvest, from grapes grown on Taylor Fladgate own vineyards and on other top properties in the Cima Corgo and Douro Superior areas.
Wine Spectator2012 vintage
The winter prior to the 2012 harvest was considerably colder and drier than normal with only 183.6mm of rain falling at Pinhão. Budburst occurred under very dry conditions towards the end of the third week in March, followed by very welcome rainfall in April and early May. The temperatures for the 2012 growing season were very balanced, with no real spikes of intense heat, with the exception of the 24th and 25th June. The vines produced lower than usual vigor and the smaller bunches and berries resulted in a low yield for the year. By mid-August, the canopies covering the grapes were still incredibly luscious and in good condition, helping the grapes to continue ripening during the entire vintage, something that rarely occurs. Picking started on the 18th September and with the exception of some rainfall on the 24th September, the rest of the harvest was carried out under perfect conditions.
Deep ruby, very dark at the core, with a narrow red rim. The nose is elegant and complex, revealing multiple dimensions of aroma. A fine fruity blend of raspberry, cassis, plum and apricot provides the base for delicate floral scents, resiny notes of rock rose and discreet hints of licorice. The palate has plenty of volume and body, supported by tense linear tannins, and very clean, crisp flavors of berry fruit and plum which continue into the long finish. A beautiful expression of Taylor's LBV, poised and slightly understated, with a finesse and intricacy usually only found in a Vintage Port.
Pairs well with robust soft and hard cheeses, especially blue cheeses such as Stilton and Roquefort. An LBV is also delicious with desserts made with chocolate or fresh berries.
GRAPES: Touriga Nacional, Touriga Franca, Tinta Barroca, Tinta Roriz, Tinto Cão, Tinta Amarela
ACIDITY: 4.0 g/l
RESIDUAL SUGAR: 102 g/l
points of distinction
- A late bottled vintage Porto from the inventor of the category
- LBVs offer some of the characteristics of vintage Porto but with no time required for bottle aging
about the grape +
Tinta Amarela makes wines with intensely perfumed aromas of blackberry and tea, bold structure, deep color and excellent depth.
Used to make Port wines, this high yielding grape has very high sugar content, which makes wines with pronounced floral character, good structure and firm, ripe tannins.
This grape has blackberry, game and meaty aromas, and contributes longevity and exceptional elegance to the blend of Port wines.
Tinta Roriz produces deep-colored grapes of moderate acidity which make bold wines with firm tannins, excellent complexity and distinctive resin-like fragrance.
This grape has high tannins and is very aromatic; it lends structure and balance to Port wines. It shows intense fresh red fruit, earth and flower aromas, and is very fruity on the palate.
Touriga Nacional produces wine with finesse, body and warmth that is dark, concentrated, massively tannic and aromatic. It ages to show the complex aromas typically found in mature vintage port.
– Adrian Bridge, CEO
“As the inventors of the late bottled vintage category, I believe it is important for us to set very high standards for this excellent Port.”
- quick view new Taylor Fladgate 1969 Single Harvest Tawny
- quick view new Taylor Fladgate Chip Dry White Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate Historical Collection Reserve Tawny
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 325th Anniversary Reserve Tawny Port
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 1968 Single Harvest Tawny
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 1967 Single Harvest Tawny
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 1966 Single Harvest Tawny
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 1965 Single Harvest Tawny
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 1964 Single Harvest Tawny
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 1863 Single Harvest Tawny
- quick view Taylor Fladgate First Estate Reserve Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 10 Year Old Tawny Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 20 Year Old Tawny Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 30 Year Old Tawny Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 40 Year Old Tawny Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate Fine Ruby
- quick view Taylor Fladgate Fine Tawny
- quick view Taylor Fladgate Classic Vintage Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate Quinta de Vargellas Vintage Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate Quinta de Vargellas Vinha Velha Vintage Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate Scion