Late Bottled Vintage Porto 2011
/ Douro Valley Porto
Grapes: Touriga Nacional, Touriga Franca, Tinta Barroca, Tinta Roriz, Tinto Cão, Tinta Amarela
Taylor Fladgate created the LBV category, to satisfy the demand for a high quality ready-to-drink alternative to vintage port. Unlike vintage port, which is bottled after only two years in wood and ages in bottle, LBV is bottled after four to six years and is ready to drink when bottled. Taylor Fladgate’s LBV continues to set the standard for the category.
The wines used to blend Taylor Fladgate LBV were drawn from a reserve of some of the best full bodied red ports, produced during the 2011 harvest, from grapes grown on Taylor Fladgate own vineyards and on other top properties in the Cima Corgo and Douro Superior areas.
Wine & Spirits2011 vintage
The winter preceding the 2011 harvest was wetter and colder than the 30-year average. Budburst occurred as usual mid-March and warm weather and rainfall in April produced vigorous growth. At the beginning of May, dry conditions set in and there was little rainfall in eastern areas of the Douro until late August. However the vines were able to draw from the plentiful ground water reserves built up during the previous winter and bunches developed and ripened in ideal conditions. Véraison occurred a little earlier than usual on 15th June. Mild weather in June and July was broken only by a heat wave in the second half of June. August was hot and dry, with perfectly timed rainfall on August 21st and September 1st rounding off an excellent ripening season and producing a well-balanced crop.
Deep purple ruby in color. Elegant, perfumed, floral nose, with notes of damsons, dark cherries and cassis. On the palate, dark chocolate, raspberries, cedar spice, a touch of leather and liquorice with elegant and well integrated tannins. True to the Taylor style, the wine shows great balance and finesse.
Pairs well with robust soft and hard cheeses, especially blue cheeses such as Stilton and Roquefort. An LBV is also delicious with desserts made with chocolate or fresh berries.
GRAPES: Touriga Nacional, Touriga Franca, Tinta Barroca, Tinta Roriz, Tinto Cão, Tinta Amarela
ACIDITY: 4.3 g/l
RESIDUAL SUGAR: 106g
points of distinction
- A late bottled vintage Porto from the inventor of the category
- LBVs offer some of the characteristics of vintage Porto but with no time required for bottle aging
about the grape +
Tinta Amarela makes wines with intensely perfumed aromas of blackberry and tea, bold structure, deep color and excellent depth.
Used to make Port wines, this high yielding grape has very high sugar content, which makes wines with pronounced floral character, good structure and firm, ripe tannins.
This grape has blackberry, game and meaty aromas, and contributes longevity and exceptional elegance to the blend of Port wines.
Tinta Roriz produces deep-colored grapes of moderate acidity which make bold wines with firm tannins, excellent complexity and distinctive resin-like fragrance.
This grape has high tannins and is very aromatic; it lends structure and balance to Port wines. It shows intense fresh red fruit, earth and flower aromas, and is very fruity on the palate.
Touriga Nacional produces wine with finesse, body and warmth that is dark, concentrated, massively tannic and aromatic. It ages to show the complex aromas typically found in mature vintage port.
– Adrian Bridge, CEO
“As the inventors of the late bottled vintage category, I believe it is important for us to set very high standards for this excellent Port.”
- quick view new Taylor Fladgate 1969 Single Harvest Tawny
- quick view new Taylor Fladgate Chip Dry White Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate Historical Collection Reserve Tawny
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 325th Anniversary Reserve Tawny Port
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 1968 Single Harvest Tawny
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 1967 Single Harvest Tawny
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 1966 Single Harvest Tawny
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 1965 Single Harvest Tawny
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 1964 Single Harvest Tawny
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 1863 Single Harvest Tawny
- quick view Taylor Fladgate First Estate Reserve Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 10 Year Old Tawny Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 20 Year Old Tawny Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 30 Year Old Tawny Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 40 Year Old Tawny Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate Fine Ruby
- quick view Taylor Fladgate Fine Tawny
- quick view Taylor Fladgate Classic Vintage Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate Quinta de Vargellas Vintage Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate Quinta de Vargellas Vinha Velha Vintage Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate Scion