Classic Vintage Porto 2016
/ Douro Valley Porto
Grapes: Touriga Nacional, Touriga Francesa, Tinto Cão, Tinta Roriz, Tinta Barroca
Produced only in exceptional vintages worthy of a vintage Porto declaration, Taylor Fladgate Classic Vintage Porto comes from the finest estate vineyards: Quinta de Vargellas, celebrated as one of the top 100 vineyards in the world, Quinta de Terra Feita and Quinta de Junco. All grapes undergo the traditional foot treading method, ensuring their fullest expression. Fermentation is halted by the addition of grape spirits before all the residual sugar has been fermented, creating a sweet, fortified wine. Following two years in wood, the wines are bottled unfiltered and will continue maturing for decades.
Wine Advocate2016 vintage
Spring was unusually wet, with heavy rain and relatively cool conditions throughout April and May. This restored ground water levels, depleted by the previous year’s drought, and created reserves for the hot summer that was to follow. However, the wet spring conditions also resulted in loss of fruit and a significant reduction in yields. It also delayed the start of the ripening cycle. From early July, hot dry conditions prevailed until well into September. In spite of the heat, maturation was even and gradual. Together with the late start to the cycle, this meant that, at the end of August, the crop was still far from ripe. Some rainfall in mid-September helped to round off the maturation. Producers that delayed picking until after the rains were rewarded with perfect harvesting conditions, with cool nights helping to extend fermentation times. The first grapes were picked at Taylor Fladgate Quinta de Vargellas on September 17th, with the Pinhão Valley estates the following week.
Deep purple with a narrow magenta rim. Notes of pure, intense woodland fruit with lively accents of green apple, plum and raspberry. Around this core of bright fruit is a heady aura of herbs. Exotic notes of cedar wood and jasmine provide an additional dimension of complexity. Sinewy, linear tannins that integrate seamlessly into the mid palate and re-emerge to hold the wine in a confident grip. Energized by a racy acidity, the intense berry flavors continue to build into the long finish.
Most often served after a meal, alone or with cheese, nuts or dried fruits. It may also be served with fine dark chocolate. The wine should be decanted before serving due to sediment in the bottle.
GRAPES: Touriga Nacional, Touriga Francesa, Tinto Cão, Tinta Roriz, Tinta Barroca
AGING: Aged for 2 years in large, conditioned French oak vats before bottling. Will continue to age in bottle for decades.
RESIDUAL SUGAR: 102 g/l
points of distinction
- Taylor's Classic Vintage is one of the most collectible, ageworthy wines in the world
- Characteristically elegant and poised, underpinned by superbly integrated tannins
- Made with 100% foot-trodden grapes from our own properties
- This wine will develop for decades in the bottle
about the grape +
Tinta Amarela makes wines with intensely perfumed aromas of blackberry and tea, bold structure, deep color and excellent depth.
Used to make Port wines, this high yielding grape has very high sugar content, which makes wines with pronounced floral character, good structure and firm, ripe tannins.
This grape has blackberry, game and meaty aromas, and contributes longevity and exceptional elegance to the blend of Port wines.
Tinta Roriz produces deep-colored grapes of moderate acidity which make bold wines with firm tannins, excellent complexity and distinctive resin-like fragrance.
This grape has high tannins and is very aromatic; it lends structure and balance to Port wines. It shows intense fresh red fruit, earth and flower aromas, and is very fruity on the palate.
Touriga Nacional produces wine with finesse, body and warmth that is dark, concentrated, massively tannic and aromatic. It ages to show the complex aromas typically found in mature vintage port.
– David Guimaraens, Winemaker
“Traditional foot treading provides a clear quality edge, providing just the right level of extraction. Our policy of co-fermenting the traditional grape varieties is also key to producing balanced and complex wines.”
- quick view new Taylor Fladgate Chip Dry White Porto
- quick view new Taylor Fladgate Historical Collection Reserve Tawny
- quick view new Taylor Fladgate 325th Anniversary Reserve Tawny Port
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 1968 Single Harvest Tawny
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 1967 Single Harvest Tawny
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 1966 Single Harvest Tawny
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 1965 Single Harvest Tawny
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 1964 Single Harvest Tawny
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 1863 Single Harvest Tawny
- quick view Taylor Fladgate First Estate Reserve Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate Late Bottled Vintage Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 10 Year Old Tawny Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 20 Year Old Tawny Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 30 Year Old Tawny Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 40 Year Old Tawny Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate Fine Ruby
- quick view Taylor Fladgate Fine Tawny
- quick view Taylor Fladgate Quinta de Vargellas Vintage Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate Quinta de Vargellas Vinha Velha Vintage Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate Scion