Reserve Zinfandel 2015
/ Dry Creek Valley
Grapes: 90% Zinfandel, 10% Petite Sirah
This Reserve wine is a combination of both valley floor and hillside fruit from the northern end of Dry Creek Valley, a renowned Zinfandel growing region. After a warm, dry summer, the Zinfandel was picked in mid-August when flavors were at their peak. Added to the blend was Petite Sirah picked in mid-September. Its thick skins and hefty tannins add color and texture to the wine while also contributing balance and length. The grapes were hand-sorted and underwent an extended cold-soak for five days. Infrequent pumpovers during fermentation allowed for greater color extraction and the ability to control tannin levels. We then complemented this fleshy wine by ageing it in 60% new French oak barrels for 20 months to achieve full integration.
Wine Enthusiast2015 vintage
USA Wine Ratings2015 vintage
2015 brought an early and light harvest that began on August 10, the earliest date in St. Francis’ history. The year started out very warm and dry but then cool, damp weather in May hampered fruit set. Though the result was smaller, looser clusters on the vine, the warm and consistent summer that followed produced high quality fruit with exceptional aromatics and concentrated flavors.
Weighty yet elegant this Zinfandel has a deep, rich color and spicy aromas of clove, vanilla and cherry galette that precede mouth-filling flavors of dark, crushed berries, melted chocolate and baking spices. Velvety in texture, this is an opulent Zin with a long finish.
Excellent with goat cheese, Asian style seafood and pork
GRAPES: 90% Zinfandel, 10% Petite Sirah
APPELLATION: Dry Creek Valley
ACIDITY: 0.58 g/l
AGING: 20 Months, 60% French Oak
points of distinction
- Aged in 60% new French oak barrels, for 20 months
about the grape +
Zinfandel shows ripe, sweet aromas and flavors of black fruits (plums, raisins, dates), with pepper, spice and chocolate notes.
– Katie Madigan, Winemaker
“Dry Creek Valley has a grape-growing history that covers well over a century of time. Much of the Zinfandel grown here is truly “Old Vine”. Reserve Dry Creek Valley Zinfandel is reflective of how this varietal is grown in the warm, temperate climate of the region. Dark black licorice notes and boysenberry overtones compliment a velvety mid-palate with a nice spicy structure.”
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Pinot Noir
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Sauvignon Blanc
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Cabernet Sauvignon
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Chardonnay
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Old Vines Zinfandel
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Merlot
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Claret
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Reserve Merlot
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon