Reserve Zinfandel 2013
/ Dry Creek Valley
Grapes: 86% Zinfandel 14% Petite Sirah
This Reserve wine is a combination of both valley floor and hillside Zinfandel from the northern end of Dry Creek Valley. The vineyard ripened at the beginning of October 2013. This was a warm, dry year that allowed us to carefully pick by flavors not just Brix levels. The grapes were hand-sorted and underwent an extended cold-soak for five days. Infrequent pumpovers during fermentation allowed for greater color extraction and the ability to control tannin levels. We then complemented this fleshy wine by ageing it in 60% new French oak barrels for 20 months to achieve full integration.
Quarterly Review of Wines2013 vintage
Wine Spectator2013 vintage
High quality, outstanding fruit characteristics and generous yields describe the 2013 harvest. Harvest started slightly earlier than previous years after an ideal growing season that provided optimum temperatures for grapes to ripen. We had a wealth of sunshine and consistently warm days and cool nights, allowing the fruit ample time to develop full, rich flavors with great color and balance.
This is a spicy yet refined Zinfandel that is beautifully balanced. Aromas of cinnamon and dark mixed berry merge with flavors of blackberry jam, ripe raspberry and a touch of peppercorn. The finish is long and silky in this luxurious wine.
Excellent with goat cheese, Asian style seafood and pork
GRAPES: 86% Zinfandel 14% Petite Sirah
APPELLATION: Dry Creek Valley
AGING: 20 Months, 60% French Oak
points of distinction
- Aged in 60% new French oak barrels, for 20 months
about the grape +
Zinfandel shows ripe, sweet aromas and flavors of black fruits (plums, raisins, dates), with pepper, spice and chocolate notes.
– Katie Madigan, Winemaker
“Dry Creek Valley has a grape-growing history that covers well over a century of time. Much of the Zinfandel grown here is truly “Old Vine”. Reserve Dry Creek Valley Zinfandel is reflective of how this varietal is grown in the warm, temperate climate of the region. Dark black licorice notes and boysenberry overtones compliment a velvety mid-palate with a nice spicy structure.”
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Pinot Noir
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Sauvignon Blanc
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Cabernet Sauvignon
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Chardonnay
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Old Vines Zinfandel
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Merlot
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Claret
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Reserve Merlot
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon