Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon 2014
/ Alexander Valley
Grapes: 100% Cabernet Sauvignon
The fruit for the Reserve Alexander Valley Cabernet Sauvignon is grown at high elevations on sloped hillsides with good drainage. At 1400 feet high, along the sun-drenched western facing slopes of the Mayacamas Mountains, the fruit sits well above the fog line. Naturally protected from the wind, dry hot days combine with bracingly cold nights which puts an element of stress on the vines resulting in small clusters, small berries and intensified flavors. The grapes were hand-sorted and underwent a two-day cold soak prior to fermentation to extract optimal color and flavor. After primary fermentation, the wine was then aged in French oak barrels, 80% new, where it underwent malolactic fermentation, followed by 20 months of aging.
Wine Enthusiast2014 vintage
Sommelier Journal2014 vintage
Warm sunny days throughout the spring and summer months set the stage for a spectacular harvest in September 2014. The lack of rain meant that harvest began a little earlier than normal and was short in length, finishing up by the end of October. The temperate days leading up to harvest produced good yields of high quality fruit with concentrated flavors, complex aromatics and excellent structure.
This is a rich and full-bodied Cabernet with deep, layered aromas and concentrated flavors of dark cherry, blueberry, vanilla bean and tobacco. The wine shows off firm, structured tannins and a luxurious, lingering finish.
Excellent with blue cheese, wild mushrooms and ribeye steak
GRAPES: 100% Cabernet Sauvignon
APPELLATION: Alexander Valley
AGING: 20 Months, 100% French Oak
points of distinction
- Aged in 100% French oak barrels (80% new) for 20 months
about the grape +
Cabernet Sauvignon is adaptable to various growing conditions, and is known for its low yield and late ripeness. It generally produces full-bodied wines with substantial acidity and tannins.
– Chris Louton, Winemaker
“An excellent expression of mountain Cabernet from Alexander Valley, this wine showcases great concentration of color, dark fruit aromas and a rich texture that reflects the vineyard from which the fruit is grown. Situated high above the fog line along the Western slopes of the Mayacamas Mountains, this Cabernet develops at a slow, steady pace which allows for full development of aromas, flavors while creating balanced acidities.”
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Pinot Noir
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Sauvignon Blanc
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Cabernet Sauvignon
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Chardonnay
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Old Vines Zinfandel
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Merlot
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Claret
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Reserve Merlot
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Reserve Zinfandel