Grapes: 100% Nebbiolo
Tortoniano is named for the tortonian-era soils in which the vines are planted, which contain a high percentage of magnesium and manganese. Grape clusters are thinned and harvested up to 15 days later than usual so that the fruit attains higher concentration. Temperatures are strictly controlled during vinification and the wine is aged for two years in large oak casks and one year in bottle before release.
Wine Advocate2007 vintage
Wine Advocate2006 vintage
For the first time in 50 years harvest was completed before the end of September. Despite the year’s advanced vegetative cycle, the grapes had very thick skins, good acidity and rich sugars: the red grapes had perfect phenolic maturation. The Chiarlos cannot recall any other vintage when quality was as perfect for white grapes as well as for red. They’re extremely optimistic about the evolution of the wines from this extraordinary vintage.
The wine shows layered aromas of mint, fennel, plum and spices before rich red currant flavors, with rose petal and more mint notes. On the palate the acidity is balanced and the tannins are silky, leading to a long finish.
This wine is a superlative pairing for beef roasts,lamb, game and hard cheeses.
GRAPES: 100% Nebbiolo
APPELLATION: Barolo DOCG
AGING: 2 years in oak, 1 year in bottle
points of distinction
- Grapes come from select vineyards of growers with whom the Chiarlo family has dealt for generations.
- Matured two years in oak barrels and one year in bottle before release
- 2007 Barolos will evolve beautifully in bottle
about the grape +
Young Nebbiolo can be tough, acidic and tannic; but mature, its blackberry and wild cherry flavors and aromas develop complex and sublime violet, rose petal, truffle and tar notes.
– Michele Chiarlo, Winemaker
“My aim has always been but one: quality.”
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Cerequio Barolo DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Cannubi Barolo DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo La Court Barbera d'Asti Superiore Nizza DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Reyna Barbaresco DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Le Orme Barbera d'Asti Superiore DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Le Madri Roero Arneis DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Le Marne Gavi DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Nivole Moscato d'Asti DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Grappa di Moscato
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Grappa di Gavi
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Grappa di Nebbiolo