/ Barbera d'Asti
Grapes: 100% Barbera
Michele Chiarlo sources grapes from strictly selected Barbera vineyards with excellent exposure to produce a superb, balanced wine. The choice vineyards are in the southern area of Asti province, especially the hills around Nizza Monferrato. Temperature controlled maceration and fermentation on the skins for 10 days in stainless steel tanks yields the dark, rich color that is typical of great Barberas. The wine is aged in large French oak casks for eight months before release.
Wine Spectator2012 vintage
After unpredictable early summer months, late summer and fall resulted in splendid conditions for harvest. Harvest occurred early with 10% lower yields but excellent results, surely another prized vintage. A very important factor this year has been the management of the vineyards: decisive has been the working of the ground under the vine rows (between one rootstock and another) that enabled the ground to be aerated and to store both rainwater and nighttime dew without loss; moreover, given the climatic conditions, our agronomists wisely avoided carrying out any defoliation in August, thus ensuring that the bunches of grapes were better protected from the sun’s rays.
Garnet in color, the wine is medium bodied and robust with rich, ripe cherries and earth on the nose and an elegant palate.
Pairs well with a wide range of dishes: chicken scallopini with sage and wild mushrooms, farfalle pasta with pork sausage and broccoli rabe and grilled or roasted red meats.
GRAPES: 100% Barbera
APPELLATION: Barbera d’Asti DOC
AGING: 8 months in French oak
points of distinction
- A classic Barbera from choice terroir
- Matured for 8 months in large oak casks for greater complexity
about the grape +
With relatively high acidity with low tannins, Barbera’s tart red berry aromas and flavors have spicy, herbal notes. Styles range from light quaffers to dense, concentrated wines for aging.
– Michele Chiarlo, Winemaker
“My aim has always been but one: quality.”
- quick view new Michele Chiarlo Il Principe Langhe Nebbiolo DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Cerequio Barolo DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Cannubi Barolo DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo La Court Barbera d'Asti Superiore Nizza DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Tortoniano Barolo DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Reyna Barbaresco DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Le Madri Roero Arneis DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Le Marne Gavi DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Nivole Moscato d'Asti DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Grappa di Moscato
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Grappa di Barolo