/ Barbera d'Asti
Grapes: 100% Barbera
The 55-acre Tenuta Aluffi is one of the most prestigious estates in the southern part of Asti, near the town of Nizza Monferrato, a choice area for exceptional-quality Barbera. Within Aluffi is the La Court estate, with excellent soils of magnesium-rich calcareous marl and a beneficial south-southwest exposure. This jewel of vineyard land receives the fastidious attention of the Chiarlo family so that its old vines produce extraordinary grapes. Following fermentation in large oak casks, the wine is aged in oak for a minimum of 12 months.
Wine Review Online2012 vintage
Wine Spectator2012 vintage
The year 2012 will be remembered for its dry, hot summer, which affected many Italian regions, and for the lowest yields of the last 50 years. Piedmont had a winter-spring weather pattern that was very peculiar: the absence of any significant rainfall in December and January, though with standard temperatures, followed by a truly abnormal February. Freezing temperatures with minimums of around -20° for a period of 10 days and exceptionally heavy snowfall for a total of about 100 cm, there then followed a very rainy spring, especially from mid-April to May 20th. These rainfalls created a precious water reserve in the soil, which was of great help during the 3 months of summer drought, characterized by very high temperatures, especially in August; said weather conditions were experienced throughout Italy. Despite the above mentioned water reserve, in late August the vineyards planted on calcareous and sandy soil and exposed to the south and west began to suffer when, unexpectedly on September 1st, 2nd and 3rd, there arrived three days of heavy rainfall (average 80 mm) that were a real godsend, the benefit of which is incalculable and changed the fate of the harvest, contributing significantly to a very balanced ripening, particularly favoured by the meager quantity.
Shows forward aromas of violets and spice before ripe flavors of black plum, dark chocolate and wild cherry. The wine has coiled, tangy acidity and a velvety texture.
Pairs well with red meat, sausage, game and tomato-based dishes such as pasta Bolognese.
GRAPES: 100% Barbera
APPELLATION: Barbera d’Asti Superiore DOCG
ACIDITY: 6.27 g/l
AGING: 1 year - half in large barrels and half in Allier barriques
points of distinction
- A classic single vineyard Barbera from choice terroir.
- Matured for 12 months in oak casks for greater complexity.
about the grape +
With relatively high acidity with low tannins, Barbera’s tart red berry aromas and flavors have spicy, herbal notes. Styles range from light quaffers to dense, concentrated wines for aging.
– Michele Chiarlo, Winemaker
“My aim has always been but one: quality.”
- quick view new Michele Chiarlo La Court Vigna Veja Barbera d'Asti Superiore Nizza DOCG
- quick view new Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Michele Chiarlo Cerequio Barolo Riserva DOCG
- quick view new Michele Chiarlo Rovereto Gavi del Comune di Gavi DOCG
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Michele Chiarlo Faset Barbaresco DOCG
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Michele Chiarlo Asili Barbaresco DOCG
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Michele Chiarlo Cerequio Barolo DOCG
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Michele Chiarlo Cannubi Barolo DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Cipressi Barbera Nizza DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Il Principe Langhe Nebbiolo DOC
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Tortoniano Barolo DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Reyna Barbaresco DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Le Orme 16 Months Barbera d’Asti DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Le Madri Roero Arneis DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Le Marne Gavi DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Nivole Moscato d'Asti DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Grappa di Moscato
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Grappa di Barolo
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Palás Grappa di Barbera
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Palás Grappa di Moscato
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Palás Grappa di Nebbiolo da Barolo