Grapes: 100% Nebbiolo
The Cerequio vineyard’s soil composition and especially mild climate are qualities that make it one of the most prestigious crus of the Langhe. Rigorously selected grapes for this auspicious bottling come from an area called the “balcony of the Langhe,” situated at 1,200 feet in elevation within the La Morra commune. With tortonian calcareous Sant’Agata marl, the soils have a bluish color due to the high content of magnesium and manganese. In the cellar, high-temperature fermentation on the skins for 15 days is followed by aging for 2 years in 700-liter oak tonneaux and 15 months in bottle before release.
Wine Review Online2010 vintage
A cooler growing season in 2010 resulted in elegant wines of higher acidity. South-facing vineyards produced the most favorable results.
A deep garnet with brilliant highlights, the wine shows ample black currant, apricot, cherry, mint and spice on the nose. The aromas are confirmed on the palate in a rich, full body with healthy tannins and a lingering finish.
Match this wine with beef, buffalo, boar and venison dishes, rich stews and aged Parmesan.
GRAPES: 100% Nebbiolo
APPELLATION: Barolo DOCG
ACIDITY: 5.51 g/l
AGING: 2 years in oak, 15 months in bottle
points of distinction
- A stellar example of single vineyard Barolo
- Matured two years in oak barrels and one year in bottle before release
vineyard details +
Michele Chiarlo owns the Antico Podere Averame in the Cerequio cru of Barolo, a 3-hectare vineyard planted in 1972. Soils are calcareous Sant’Agata marl with poor organic content but rich in microelements such as magnesium and manganese. South-southwest exposure promotes ripening and the vineyard elevation is 320 meters.
about the grape +
Young Nebbiolo can be tough, acidic and tannic; but mature, its blackberry and wild cherry flavors and aromas develop complex and sublime violet, rose petal, truffle and tar notes.
– Michele Chiarlo, Winemaker
“My aim has always been but one: quality.”
- quick view new Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Michele Chiarlo Asili Barbaresco DOCG
- quick view new Michele Chiarlo Cipressi Barbera Nizza DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Il Principe Langhe Nebbiolo DOC
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Cannubi Barolo DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo La Court Barbera d'Asti Superiore Nizza DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Tortoniano Barolo DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Reyna Barbaresco DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Le Orme 16 Months Barbera d’Asti DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Le Madri Roero Arneis DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Le Marne Gavi DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Nivole Moscato d'Asti DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Grappa di Moscato
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Grappa di Barolo
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Palás Grappa di Barbera
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Palás Grappa di Moscato
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Palás Grappa di Nebbiolo da Barolo