Grapes: 100% Nebbiolo
Dating back to the 1700s, the oldest single vineyard, or cru, within the commune of Barolo is Cannubi. Of the five parcels that form Cannubi, the most esteemed is Cannubi proper, where Michele Chiarlo owns 4.5 acres of vines that are more than 20 years old. Chiarlo’s Cannubi plot is the first Barolo vineyard planted to terraces, which were created to maximize an exceptional hillside exposure with a more than 50-degree gradient. In winemaking, after high-temperature fermentation on the skins, the wine is aged in 700-liter oak tonneaux and in bottle before release.
Wine Spectator2012 vintage
Wine Review Online2012 vintage
The year 2012 will be remembered for its dry, hot summer, which affected many Italian regions, and for the lowest yields of the last 50 years. Piedmont had a winter-spring weather pattern that was very peculiar: the absence of any significant rainfall in December and January, though with standard temperatures, followed by a truly abnormal February. Freezing temperatures with minimums of around -20° for a period of 10 days and exceptionally heavy snowfall for a total of about 100 cm, there then followed a very rainy spring, especially from mid-April to May 20th. These rainfalls created a precious water reserve in the soil, which was of great help during the 3 months of summer drought, characterized by very high temperatures, especially in August. Despite the above mentioned water reserve, in late August the vineyards planted on calcareous and sandy soil and exposed to the south and west began to suffer when, unexpectedly on September 1st, 2nd and 3rd, there arrived three days of heavy rainfall that were a real godsend, the benefit of which is incalculable and changed the fate of the harvest, contributing significantly to a very balanced ripening, particularly favoured by the meager quantity. The harvesting of Nebbioli for Nebbiolo d'Alba, Barolo and Barbaresco happened in the beginning of October. We once again had an excellent vintage.
Garnet red with tawny highlights, the wine has licorice and spice aromas and flavors on an elegant full body with the firm tannins typical of this vineyard.
Great pairings for this wine are red meat dishes, game and ripe, hard cheeses.
GRAPES: 100% Nebbiolo
APPELLATION: Barolo DOCG
ACIDITY: 5.92 g/l
points of distinction
- A stellar example of single vineyard Barolo from the oldest Barolo cru
- Matured two years in oak barrels and one year in bottle before release
about the grape +
Young Nebbiolo can be tough, acidic and tannic; but mature, its blackberry and wild cherry flavors and aromas develop complex and sublime violet, rose petal, truffle and tar notes.
– Michele Chiarlo, Winemaker
“My aim has always been but one: quality.”
- quick view new Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Michele Chiarlo Cerequio Barolo Riserva DOCG
- quick view new Michele Chiarlo Rovereto Gavi del Comune di Gavi DOCG
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Michele Chiarlo Faset Barbaresco DOCG
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Michele Chiarlo Asili Barbaresco DOCG
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Michele Chiarlo Cerequio Barolo DOCG
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Michele Chiarlo La Court Barbera d'Asti Superiore Nizza DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Cipressi Barbera Nizza DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Il Principe Langhe Nebbiolo DOC
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Tortoniano Barolo DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Reyna Barbaresco DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Le Orme 16 Months Barbera d’Asti DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Le Madri Roero Arneis DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Le Marne Gavi DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Nivole Moscato d'Asti DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Grappa di Moscato
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Grappa di Barolo
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Palás Grappa di Barbera
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Palás Grappa di Moscato
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Palás Grappa di Nebbiolo da Barolo