Grapes: 100% Nebbiolo
Dating back to the 1700s, the oldest single vineyard, or cru, within the commune of Barolo is Cannubi. Of the five parcels that form Cannubi, the most esteemed is Cannubi proper, where Michele Chiarlo owns 4.5 acres of vines that are more than 20 years old. Chiarlo’s Cannubi plot is the first Barolo vineyard planted to terraces, which were created to maximize an exceptional hillside exposure with a more than 50-degree gradient. In winemaking, after high-temperature fermentation on the skins, the wine is aged in 700-liter oak tonneaux and in bottle before release.
Wine Advocate2011 vintage
Wine Enthusiast2011 vintage
This summer was one of the most surprising and bizarre of the last decades: after a normal June, there arrived a capricious July with several rainy, dull days and below-average temperatures. In the first week of August there was a sudden, radical change in the weather, with splendid, sunny days and above-average temperatures, conditions that continued uninterruptedly up till the first week of September, when on the upper part of south-facing hills with decidedly calcareous soil, only the Barbera and Dolcetto grapes showed initial signs of withering due to lack of water. Fortunately, on the 4th and 5th September, we witnessed two fairly intense storms that in Monferrato and the Langhe resulted in rainfalls. This fact helped enormously to rebalance the ripening process and was a godsend for the varieties that still had to be picked, Barbera and Nebbiolo in particular. The conditions this year led to the grapes ripening earlier, on average by two weeks.
Garnet red with tawny highlights, the wine has licorice and spice aromas and flavors on an elegant full body with the firm tannins typical of this vineyard.
Great pairings for this wine are red meat dishes, game and ripe, hard cheeses.
GRAPES: 100% Nebbiolo
APPELLATION: Barolo DOCG
ACIDITY: 6.24 g/l
points of distinction
- A stellar example of single vineyard Barolo from the oldest Barolo cru
- Matured two years in oak barrels and one year in bottle before release
about the grape +
Young Nebbiolo can be tough, acidic and tannic; but mature, its blackberry and wild cherry flavors and aromas develop complex and sublime violet, rose petal, truffle and tar notes.
– Michele Chiarlo, Winemaker
“My aim has always been but one: quality.”
- quick view new Michele Chiarlo La Court Vigna Veja Barbera d'Asti Superiore Nizza DOCG
- quick view new Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Michele Chiarlo Cerequio Barolo Riserva DOCG
- quick view new Michele Chiarlo Rovereto Gavi del Comune di Gavi DOCG
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Michele Chiarlo Faset Barbaresco DOCG
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Michele Chiarlo Asili Barbaresco DOCG
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Michele Chiarlo Cerequio Barolo DOCG
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Michele Chiarlo La Court Barbera d'Asti Superiore Nizza DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Cipressi Barbera Nizza DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Il Principe Langhe Nebbiolo DOC
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Tortoniano Barolo DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Reyna Barbaresco DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Le Orme 16 Months Barbera d’Asti DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Le Madri Roero Arneis DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Le Marne Gavi DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Nivole Moscato d'Asti DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Grappa di Moscato
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Grappa di Barolo
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Palás Grappa di Barbera
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Palás Grappa di Moscato
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Palás Grappa di Nebbiolo da Barolo