Grapes: Malbec, Corvina
Masi’s specialty process of double fermentation is used with fresh Malbec grapes and a percentage of lightly-dried Corvina grapes. Vigneti La Arboleda is within the renowned wine region of Mendoza. Vineyards are situated at 950-1050 meters elevation in the Tupungato valley, with organically poor soil composed of many stones, sand and chalk, with good mineral content. Malbec grapes are gently pressed and fermented in stainless steel tanks for 16 days at 70-73°F. Masi’s speciality double fermentation technique uses selected yeasts and 30% of whole Corvina grapes given a brief appassimento treatment before pressing. Fermentation lasts 15 days at 64-68°F, followed by final fermentation and malolactic.
Wine & Spirits2016 vintage
The 2016 vintage presented sanitary challenges due to frequent rain and humidity, not dissimilar from the last two vintages in Mendoza. Spring was cool and rainy, followed by a very cool and humid summer. February and March were uncharacteristically cool as well, causing delays in the maturity of the grapes. 2016 was a challenging vintage that required constant maintenance to ultimately produce wines with good acidity and moderate alcohol levels. The wines are elegant and balanced with intense aromas and great freshness.
Deep ruby red with violet reflections. Aromas of blackberries, maserated cherries, plums and cocoa on the nose. Full bodied with well integrated soft tannins and a lively acidity that makes the structure attractive and balanced. Long finish with hints of berry fruit and spices.
Pairs well with grilled or roast red meat and chickpea balls.
GRAPES: Malbec, Corvina
APPELLATION: Rosso di Argentina
ACIDITY: 5.45 g/l
points of distinction
- Masi's refined double fermentation technique
- Blends Argentinian characteristics of ripeness, power and expressiveness from Malbec
- Double fermentation gives full aromas, structure and soft tannins to a quality wine with long ageing potential.
about the grape +
Corvina has bright, relatively delicate cherry fruit flavors, with high acidity and pronounced aromas of cherry, bitter almond and spice.
Well-made Malbec is a dark, perfumed wine with rich, blackberry and damson plum fruit, aromas of violets and tobacco, and ripe, juicy tannins. In France, may be mineral, structured and austere.
“Masi wines must have a recognizable character, a unique style, and be approachable and pleasant to drink.” – RAFFAELE BOSCAINI, GENERAL COORDINATOR OF MASI TECHNICAL GROUP
- quick view Masi Agricola Campolongo di Torbe Amarone della Valpolicella Classico DOCG
- quick view Masi Agricola Mazzano Amarone della Valpolicella Classico DOCG
- quick view Masi Agricola Costasera Amarone della Valpolicella Classico DOCG
- quick view Masi Agricola Riserva di Costasera Amarone della Valpolicella Classico DOCG
- quick view Masi Agricola Serego Alighieri Vaio Armaron Amarone della Valpolicella Classico DOCG
- quick view new Masi Agricola Rosa dei Masi
- quick view Masi Agricola Masianco Pinot Grigio delle Venezie DOC
- quick view Masi Agricola Campofiorin Rosso del Veronese IGT
- quick view Masi Agricola Brolo Campofiorin Oro Rosso del Veronese IGT
- quick view Masi Agricola Bonacosta Valpolicella Classico DOC
- quick view Masi Agricola Modello Rosso delle Venezie IGT
- quick view Masi Agricola Modello Bianco delle Venezie IGT