Grapes: Malbec, Corvina
Masi’s specialty process of double fermentation is used with fresh Malbec grapes and a percentage of lightly-dried Corvina grapes. Vigneti La Arboleda is within the renowned wine region of Mendoza. Vineyards are situated at 950-1050 meters elevation in the Tupungato valley, with organically poor soil composed of many stones, sand and chalk, with good mineral content. Malbec grapes are gently pressed and fermented in stainless steel tanks for 16 days at 70-73°F. Masi’s speciality double fermentation technique uses selected yeasts and 30% of whole Corvina grapes given a brief appassimento treatment before pressing. Fermentation lasts 15 days at 64-68°F, followed by final fermentation and malolactic.
Wine & Spirits2016 vintage
The vines at Masi Tupungato in Argentina reacted well to the climatic challenges of 2014. In actual fact, it was been a historic year for wine-making there; the grapes were perfectly healthy, their total acidity level high and they showed excellent readings for aromas and polyphenols. The harvest of Malbec and Corvina was postponed by two weeks thanks to rains which allowed the grapes to achieve good acidity and intense color. Great diurnal temperature variation (from 5 °C at night to 27 °C in the afternoon) encouraged concentration of acidity and ultimately the development of fruity tones in the wine during the Appassimento process.
Displays complex ripe red fruit aromas, with vegetal and licorice notes. Baked plum and cherry flavors are full-bodied with an initial spicy grassy-ness that evolves into a soft, long finish, with vanilla traces.
Pairs with a wide variety of foods, including grilled or roasted red meats, game birds, mature and strong-flavored cheeses.
GRAPES: Malbec, Corvina
APPELLATION: Rosso di Argentina
points of distinction
- Combines Masi's refined double fermentation technique with the outstanding terroir of Uco Valley in Argentina's Mendoza region.
- Blends Argentinian characteristics of ripeness, power and expressiveness from Malbec with typically Venetian style, elegance and warmth from Corvina.
- Double fermentation gives full aromas, structure and soft tannins to a quality wine with long ageing potential.
about the grape +
Corvina has bright, relatively delicate cherry fruit flavors, with high acidity and pronounced aromas of cherry, bitter almond and spice.
Well-made Malbec is a dark, perfumed wine with rich, blackberry and damson plum fruit, aromas of violets and tobacco, and ripe, juicy tannins. In France, may be mineral, structured and austere.
“Masi wines must have a recognizable character, a unique style, and be approachable and pleasant to drink.” – RAFFAELE BOSCAINI, GENERAL COORDINATOR OF MASI TECHNICAL GROUP
- quick view Masi Agricola Campolongo di Torbe Amarone della Valpolicella Classico DOCG
- quick view Masi Agricola Mazzano Amarone della Valpolicella Classico DOCG
- quick view Masi Agricola Costasera Amarone della Valpolicella Classico DOCG
- quick view Masi Agricola Riserva di Costasera Amarone della Valpolicella Classico DOCG
- quick view Masi Agricola Serego Alighieri Vaio Armaron Amarone della Valpolicella Classico DOCG
- quick view new Masi Agricola Rosa dei Masi
- quick view Masi Agricola Masianco Pinot Grigio delle Venezie DOC
- quick view Masi Agricola Campofiorin Rosso del Veronese IGT
- quick view Masi Agricola Brolo Campofiorin Oro Rosso del Veronese IGT
- quick view Masi Agricola Bonacosta Valpolicella Classico DOC
- quick view Masi Agricola Modello Rosso delle Venezie IGT
- quick view Masi Agricola Modello Bianco delle Venezie IGT