Grapes: 70% Corvina, 15% Rondinella, 10% Oseleta, 5% Molinara
Modern techniques are combined with ancient varieties (Corvina, Rondinella, Molinara and the unique Oseleta grape, rediscovered by Masi), the "Appassimento" method from the Romans and traditional 600-liter Veronese barrels. Costasera’s slopes face the sunset, making this the best terroir in Valpolicella Classico. End of September or beginning of October, selected fruit is dried in special lofts for natural appassimento. By mid-February, grapes lose 40% of their weight and gain concentration. Only Corvina grapes naturally develop botrytis and Oseleta variety imparts tannic structure and deep color to the wine after drying. After gentle pressing and partial de-stemming, fermentation takes 45 days in large Slavonian oak botti or stainless steel vats at low, natural temperature. The wine goes into 30-40 hl botti, where final fermentation takes 35 days, with alcohol-resistant yeasts, then malolactic. Aged for 38-40 months in 600-litre Slavonian and Allier oak casks; 1/3 new, 1/3 year old and 1/3 two years old; minimum 6 months in bottle.
Blue Lifestyle2013 vintage
A vintage with rainfall well above average for the last few years in winter and with not particularly stable temperatures. Spring on the other hand was cold with temperatures generally lower than normal and plentiful rainfall. This led to budding being delayed by about 10-15 days. The abundant rain in the month of May and in parts of June gave way to an ideal summer with high temperatures, which were in fact above the norm for the month of July. This meant the grapes had ideal ripening conditions and were guaranteed to have good levels of acidity and to have accumulated good sugar levels. Picking began on 20th September.
Thick, deep, ruby red in colour. Elegant and intense aromas of ripe berry fruit, and fruit preserved in spirit accompanied by delicate hints of cocoa and cinnamon. Firm and full bodied structure on the palate, with silky tannins, smooth alcohol and a refreshing acidity to give balance and measure. Very long on the finish with tastes of marasca cherries and cinnamon.
Majestic, complex and elegant wine, with great ageing potential. Good with red meat, game and mature cheeses. Excellent finale to a meal.
GRAPES: 70% Corvina, 15% Rondinella, 10% Oseleta, 5% Molinara
APPELLATION: Amarone della Valpolicella Classico DOCG Riserva
ACIDITY: 6.14 g/l
points of distinction
- Valpolicella Classico’s indigenous grapes are blended with the rediscovered Oseleta
- Costasera is the finest terroir for Amarone in Valpolicella Classico
- This special cru of Costasera is an Amarone benchmark
- Riserva di Costasera can age for 30-35 years
about the grape +
Corvina has bright, relatively delicate cherry fruit flavors, with high acidity and pronounced aromas of cherry, bitter almond and spice.
“Masi wines must have a recognizable character, a unique style, and be approachable and pleasant to drink.” – RAFFAELE BOSCAINI, GENERAL COORDINATOR OF MASI TECHNICAL GROUP
- quick view Masi Agricola Campolongo di Torbe Amarone della Valpolicella Classico DOCG
- quick view Masi Agricola Mazzano Amarone della Valpolicella Classico DOCG
- quick view Masi Agricola Costasera Amarone della Valpolicella Classico DOCG
- quick view Masi Agricola Serego Alighieri Vaio Armaron Amarone della Valpolicella Classico DOCG
- quick view new Masi Agricola Rosa dei Masi
- quick view Masi Agricola Masianco Pinot Grigio delle Venezie DOC
- quick view Masi Agricola Campofiorin Rosso del Veronese IGT
- quick view Masi Agricola Brolo Campofiorin Oro Rosso del Veronese IGT
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Masi Agricola Tupungato Passo Doble Rosso di Argentina
- quick view Masi Agricola Bonacosta Valpolicella Classico DOC
- quick view Masi Agricola Modello Rosso delle Venezie IGT
- quick view Masi Agricola Modello Bianco delle Venezie IGT