Grapes: Refosco, Raboso and other local grapes (proprietary Masi blend)
The Latin root for the word ‘Modello’ is modus, the same as the Italian word for fashion, ‘moda.’ Masi’s vineyards are the finest hillside terroirs in the Veneto. Fruit comes from selected foothill vineyards, particularly the Stra’ del Milione estate at Castions di Strada, Friuli, with varied soil types, mainly calcareous sediments on basalt and clay. The grapes are a proprietary Masi blend of local grapes Refosco, Raboso and other varieties. Each variety is harvested separately; the Raboso is picked slightly later. Controlled-temperature fermentation is carried out the end of October in stainless steel tanks with selected yeasts and skin contact from 15-20 days, depending on the grape and fermentation with selected yeasts takes 22 days at 77° - 82°F. The wine completes malolactic fermentation. The wine is aged 10 months; 70% in large Slavonian oak botti and 30% in small Allier oak barrels, followed by one month in bottle.
Conditions were good in Friuli, especially from end of May to early June when the predominant varieties in the blend underwent flowering. Summer’s high temperatures were a positive factor thanks to adequate water reserves, thus veraison and ripening came a bit earlier. This compensated for delayed budding partially caused by low temperatures at end of winter. Harvest for red grapes began middle of September: overall, quantity and quality were excellent.
Fresh aromas of licorice and fruity blackberries and raspberries. Similar, well-balanced flavors are supported by lively acidity in this easy-to-drink wine.
This versatile wine pairs with various dishes (soups, pasta and risottos), as well as simple and substantial red-meat dishes or fresh cheeses.
GRAPES: Refosco, Raboso and other local grapes (proprietary Masi blend)
APPELLATION: Rosso delle Venezie IGT
ACIDITY: 5.07 g/L
AGING: 10 mos.: 70% large Slavonian oak botti, 30% small Allier oak barrels; 1 month in bottle
points of distinction
- An innovative wine with the unmistakable style of the Veneto, crafted from native grapes, traditional methods and Masi’s exceptional vineyards
- The Latin root for 'Modello' is modus; same as Italian word for fashion, ‘moda’
- Made from proprietary Masi blend of local grapes Refosco, Raboso and others
“Masi wines must have a recognizable character, a unique style, and be approachable and pleasant to drink.” – RAFFAELE BOSCAINI, GENERAL COORDINATOR OF MASI TECHNICAL GROUP
- quick view Masi Agricola Campolongo di Torbe Amarone della Valpolicella Classico DOCG
- quick view Masi Agricola Mazzano Amarone della Valpolicella Classico DOCG
- quick view Masi Agricola Costasera Amarone della Valpolicella Classico DOCG
- quick view Masi Agricola Riserva di Costasera Amarone della Valpolicella Classico DOCG
- quick view Masi Agricola Serego Alighieri Vaio Armaron Amarone della Valpolicella Classico DOCG
- quick view new Masi Agricola Rosa dei Masi
- quick view Masi Agricola Masianco Pinot Grigio delle Venezie DOC
- quick view Masi Agricola Campofiorin Rosso del Veronese IGT
- quick view Masi Agricola Brolo Campofiorin Oro Rosso del Veronese IGT
- quick view Masi Agricola Bonacosta Valpolicella Classico DOC
- quick view Masi Agricola Modello Bianco delle Venezie IGT