Grapes: Corvina, Rondinella, Molinara
Campofiorin is the original “Supervenetian,” made with Masi’s double fermentation technique. A specialty wine, this red is made from local Veronese grapes Corvina, Rondinella and Molinara vinified and then re-fermented with a small percentage of semi-dried grapes of the same varieties. Vineyards in the valleys of the Veronese hills have similar conditions to the original “Campofiorin” vineyard in Marano di Valpolicella, with very deep alluvial and eocenic limestone soil. Fermented wine from fresh grapes is re-fermented with 25% of whole grapes semi-dried (for about 6 weeks) of the same varieties. This fermentation takes about 15 days at 64 - 68°F, and malolactic follows. The wine is aged at least 18 months in wood, 2/3 in 90-hectoliter Slavonian oak botti, 1/3 in 600-liter Allier and Slavonian barrels, new, and a minimum 3 months in bottle.
Tasting Panel2012 vintage
The growing season in 2012 has seen rather alternating weather conditions. The dry and decidedly “warm” winter was followed by a very cold start to the spring. The hot, dry summer in turn accelerated the succession of fenologic stages and maturation in mixed areas occurred in the first ten days of September. The harvest began on the low level
Fruity cherry and plum aromas, with vanilla, cinnamon and spice notes. Shows sublime, soft tannins on the palate, with fresh acidity. Finish is long and persistent, with ripe fruit flavors and a touch of sweet spiciness.
This very versatile wine is perfect with various foods, including pasta with rich meat- or mushroom-based sauces, grilled or roasted red meats, game and mature cheeses.
GRAPES: Corvina, Rondinella, Molinara
APPELLATION: Rosso del Veronese IGT
points of distinction
- Created in 1964 using what Hugh Johnson called an “ingenious technique,” Masi's original interpretation of ancient Veronese “refermentation”
- Masi’s double fermentation process enriches the wine’s color, extract, tannins and alcohol to bring new aromas and flavors
- The orginal "Supervenetian," can age 15-20 years
about the grape +
Corvina has bright, relatively delicate cherry fruit flavors, with high acidity and pronounced aromas of cherry, bitter almond and spice.
“Masi wines must have a recognizable character, a unique style, and be approachable and pleasant to drink.” – RAFFAELE BOSCAINI, GENERAL COORDINATOR OF MASI TECHNICAL GROUP
- quick view Masi Agricola Campolongo di Torbe Amarone della Valpolicella Classico DOCG
- quick view Masi Agricola Mazzano Amarone della Valpolicella Classico DOCG
- quick view Masi Agricola Costasera Amarone della Valpolicella Classico DOCG
- quick view Masi Agricola Riserva di Costasera Amarone della Valpolicella Classico DOCG
- quick view Masi Agricola Serego Alighieri Vaio Armaron Amarone della Valpolicella Classico DOCG
- quick view new Masi Agricola Rosa dei Masi
- quick view Masi Agricola Masianco Pinot Grigio e Verduzzo delle Venezie DOC
- quick view Masi Agricola Brolo Campofiorin Oro Rosso del Veronese IGT
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Masi Agricola Tupungato Passo Doble Rosso di Argentina
- quick view Masi Agricola Bonacosta Valpolicella Classico DOC
- quick view Masi Agricola Modello Rosso delle Venezie IGT
- quick view Masi Agricola Modello Bianco delle Venezie IGT