Grapes: Corvina, Rondinella, Oseleta
‘Brolo’ is equivalent to the French ‘clos,’ a walled vineyard. This special selection of Campofiorin expresses the individual style of local Veronese varieties, notably Corvina, and the original methods of appassimento and Masi’s double fermentation. Brolo di Campofiorin vineyards are located in Valgatara di Marano, in the heart of Valpolicella Classico, where grapes for the original Campofiorin are grown, with very deep alluvial soil on eocenic limestone. Wine from fresh grapes undergoes temperature-controlled fermentation at 72-75°F for 25 days with selected yeasts. Oseleta grapes, which ripen the end of October, are vinified separately. The end of November, the wine is re-fermented with 30% of semi-dried Corvina grapes after pressing; this second fermentation lasts 15 days at 73-77°F. The wine completes fermentation and malolactic. Aged 24 months in 600-liter ‘fusti veronesi’: 70% heavy-toast Allier oak barrels, 30% Slavonian oak barrels; 4 months in bottle.
Wine Spectator2011 vintage
Favorable weather between April and June, apart from the strong winds on 27th May which broke many loose shoots, resulting in a limited loss of yield of around 10% -15%. July was generally cold, followed by a very warm August and September, which favored an early ripening. The harvest was 2-3 weeks earlier than average: in the low-lying hills it began on 6th September, and on the higher slopes on the 15th. Overall yield was down 10% against the average. The grapes were healthy with good acidity, high sugar levels and above-average levels of polyphenols. The warm, dry autumn has really favored the appassimento process.
Bold aromas of ripe red fruits, dried plums, cherries and violets, with sweet spice, clove and cocoa notes. Similar flavors are powerful and full-bodied, with acidity that balances soft, silky tannins, and a long finish.
Pasta with rich sauces (meat- or mushroom-based), grilled or roasted red meats, game and cheese.
GRAPES: Corvina, Rondinella, Oseleta
APPELLATION: Rosso del Veronese IGT
ACIDITY: 5.55 g/l
points of distinction
- "Appaxximento" certifies Masi’s expertise in this method.
- This wine can age up to 20 years.
- Masi’s double fermentation enriches color, extract, elegant tannins and alcohol, and brings new aromas and flavors.
- Special cuvée of Campofiorin combines indigenous Veronese grapes with original methods of Appassimento and Masi’s double fermentation.
about the grape +
Corvina has bright, relatively delicate cherry fruit flavors, with high acidity and pronounced aromas of cherry, bitter almond and spice.
“Masi wines must have a recognizable character, a unique style, and be approachable and pleasant to drink.” – RAFFAELE BOSCAINI, GENERAL COORDINATOR OF MASI TECHNICAL GROUP
- quick view Masi Agricola Campolongo di Torbe Amarone della Valpolicella Classico DOCG
- quick view Masi Agricola Mazzano Amarone della Valpolicella Classico DOCG
- quick view Masi Agricola Costasera Amarone della Valpolicella Classico DOCG
- quick view Masi Agricola Riserva di Costasera Amarone della Valpolicella Classico DOCG
- quick view Masi Agricola Serego Alighieri Vaio Armaron Amarone della Valpolicella Classico DOCG
- quick view new Masi Agricola Rosa dei Masi
- quick view Masi Agricola Masianco Pinot Grigio delle Venezie DOC
- quick view Masi Agricola Campofiorin Rosso del Veronese IGT
- quick view Masi Agricola Bonacosta Valpolicella Classico DOC
- quick view Masi Agricola Modello Rosso delle Venezie IGT
- quick view Masi Agricola Modello Bianco delle Venezie IGT