Rosé IGP 2017
Grapes: 100% Nero d'Avola
Nero d’Avola vines are 25-30 years old, planted with a southern exposure at 80 meters above sea level. Yields are 6.6 tons/acre, to encourage aromatic depth and flavor complexity. In the spring, the vines are pruned to one bud per plant, and in June/July, a green harvest eliminates lesser grapes. Twenty days prior to harvest, there's an additional cluster thinning, or a selection of the best grapes in the bunch. To develop superior aromas and texture, the wine is aged in steel tanks rather than oak to retain the grape's fresh, crisp and fruity characters.
The 2017 growing season began very cold, with frost extending well into spring followed by an extreme heatwave in the beginning of summer. The growing season did not begin to balance out until August, where two significant rainfalls brought much needed respite to the plants, lowering temperatures and allowing the grapes to photosynthesize in optimal conditions. September saw a drop in temperatures, with prolonged and sunny days, which encouraged the plants to divert all the necessary nutrients to the clusters in order to obtain a product of excellent quality from the aromatic and polyphenolic points of view. Harvest time brought a very balanced season with gorgeous weather that allowed the Nero d'Avola grapes to excel, producing a quality wine.
Intense, with immediate freshness and a bouquet of ripe, elegant fruit. In the mouth, the wine is well-rounded with citrus notes of pink grapefruit.
Outstanding with fish dishes enriched with Mediterranean spices and herbs. Intriguing with pizza.
GRAPES: 100% Nero d'Avola
APPELLATION: Terre Siciliane IGP
AGING: Aged in steel tanks
points of distinction
- Great freshness comes from maritime influence of this southern Italian terroir
- Outstanding expression of fruit derived from Nero d’Avola varietal
- Incredibly versatile and pleasant on any occasion
about the grape +
Nero d’Avola produces deep-colored wines that have wild cherry and plum, dark chocolate and earthy aromas and flavors, good minerality and acidity, and a high level of tannins.
Feudo Maccari was painstakingly assembled from numerous owners and more than 50 separate plots on the southerly hillsides near the town of Noto.
- quick view Feudo Maccari Mahâris Sicilia DOC
- quick view Feudo Maccari Saia Sicilia DOC
- quick view Feudo Maccari Neré Nero d’Avola IGP
- quick view Feudo Maccari Olli Grillo IGP
- quick view new Feudo Maccari Contrada Santo Spirito Animardente Etna DOC
- quick view new Feudo Maccari Contrada Santo Spirito Animalucente Etna DOC