Nero d’Avola IGP 2015
Grapes: 100% Nero d’Avola
The vines are alberello trained (bush trained), are 12-34 years old, and have been planted with a southern exposure at 250 feet elevation, about one mile from the sea. Yields are low; about 2.5 tons/acre, to encourage concentration and complexity in the wine. In the spring, the vines are pruned to one bud per plant, and in June/July, a green harvest is performed to eliminate lesser grapes. Twenty days prior to harvest, the vines go through an additional cluster thinning, or a selection of the best grapes in the bunch. To develop superior color and aromas, the wine undergoes a 15-day maceration at 8.6°F before fermentation with regular punching down, and is aged in steel tanks to retain the grape's fresh, crisp, red berry characters
Wine Spectator2015 vintage
After a Spring slightly ahead of the average season, there was little precipitation throughout the growing phase. This reduced vegetation and provided less then generous quantities. Towards the end of the season, scattered rain showers elevated the plants from the long dry phase, allowing for a full and complete maturation in terms of phenolic and technological. While yields might have low, quality did not suffer.
With a red ruby color, this wine is bursting with tangy red berry aromas and fruity sensations. In the mouth, the flavors are harmonious with good structure. An enticing tinge of acidity on the finish is a vestige of this cooler vintage which greatly helps this wine's balance and makes you want another sip.
This wine pairs well with grilled red meats and BBQ.
GRAPES: 100% Nero d’Avola
APPELLATION: Sicily IGT
ACIDITY: 5.50 g/l
AGING: Stainless steel tank
points of distinction
- Carefully pruned vines and the best selection of grapes highlight the distinct characteristics of the indigenous Nero d’Avola in the region for which it’s best suited.
- This flavorful, zesty wine is easy to drink and shows a charming, “fruit forward” character with a juicy mouthfeel.
- Aged in steel tank to preserve the wine’s fresh, crisp, fruity characteristics.
about the grape +
Nero d’Avola produces deep-colored wines that have wild cherry and plum, dark chocolate and earthy aromas and flavors, good minerality and acidity, and a high level of tannins.
– Antonio Moretti, Owner
“A land of extreme sensations, perfumes, colors, extreme light and tastes, all at their maximum expression.”
- quick view Feudo Maccari Rosé di Nere IGP
- quick view Feudo Maccari Mahâris Sicilia DOC
- quick view Feudo Maccari Saia Sicilia DOC
- quick view Feudo Maccari Olli Grillo IGP
- quick view new Feudo Maccari Contrada Santo Spirito Animardente Etna DOC
- quick view new Feudo Maccari Contrada Santo Spirito Animalucente Etna DOC