Nero d’Avola IGP 2014
Grapes: 100% Nero d’Avola
The vines are alberello trained (bush trained), are 12-34 years old, and have been planted with a southern exposure at 250 feet elevation, about one mile from the sea. Yields are low; about 2.5 tons/acre, to encourage concentration and complexity in the wine. In the spring, the vines are pruned to one bud per plant, and in June/July, a green harvest is performed to eliminate lesser grapes. Twenty days prior to harvest, the vines go through an additional cluster thinning, or a selection of the best grapes in the bunch. To develop superior color and aromas, the wine undergoes a 15-day maceration at 8.6°F before fermentation with regular punching down, and is aged in steel tanks to retain the grape's fresh, crisp, red berry characters.
Wine Advocate2014 vintage
New York International Wine Competition2014 vintage
The period of July and August of 2014 was quite hot and sunny, despite days with cooler temperatures and even some rainy. A weather pattern generally balanced that allowed a very good development until the end of August. From the first days of September there were rains that have affected the characteristics of the grape and have delayed the harvest. The harvest was still very good even for the return of the sun in the second half of September, which allowed the grapes to achieve optimum ripeness and ensured a healthy crop from the health point of view.
With a red ruby color, this wine is bursting with tangy red berry aromas and fruity sensations. In the mouth, the flavors are harmonious with good structure. An enticing tinge of acidity on the finish is a vestige of this cooler vintage which greatly helps this wine's balance and makes you want another sip.
This wine pairs well with grilled red meats and BBQ.
GRAPES: 100% Nero d’Avola
APPELLATION: Sicily IGT
ACIDITY: 5.5 g/l
AGING: Stainless steel tank
points of distinction
- Carefully pruned vines and the best selection of grapes highlight the distinct characteristics of the indigenous Nero d’Avola in the region for which it’s best suited.
- This flavorful, zesty wine is easy to drink and shows a charming, “fruit forward” character with a juicy mouthfeel.
- Aged in steel tank to preserve the wine’s fresh, crisp, fruity characteristics.
about the grape +
Nero d’Avola produces deep-colored wines that have wild cherry and plum, dark chocolate and earthy aromas and flavors, good minerality and acidity, and a high level of tannins.
– Antonio Moretti, Owner
“A land of extreme sensations, perfumes, colors, extreme light and tastes, all at their maximum expression.”
- quick view Feudo Maccari Rosé IGP
- quick view Feudo Maccari Mahâris Sicilia DOC
- quick view Feudo Maccari Saia Sicilia DOC
- quick view Feudo Maccari Grillo IGP
- quick view new Feudo Maccari Contrada Santo Spirito Animardente Etna DOC
- quick view new Feudo Maccari Contrada Santo Spirito Animalucente Etna DOC