Grillo IGP 2015
Grapes: 100% Grillo
Alberello trained (bush trained) vines are an average 20 years old, planted with a southern exposure at 250 feet elevation, about one mile from the sea. Yields are a low 3.75 tons/acre, to encourage aromatic depth and flavor complexity. In the spring, the vines are pruned to one bud per plant, and in June/July, a green harvest eliminates lesser grapes. Twenty days prior to harvest, there's an additional cluster thinning, or a selection of the best grapes in the bunch. To develop superior aromas and texture, the wine undergoes a 15-day cold maceration before fermentation with regular punching down, and is aged in steel tanks rather than oak to retain the grape's fresh, crisp and fruity characters.
Tasting Panel2015 vintage
The year 2015 was characterized by a spring marked by frequent rains that have put a strain on the work of vegetation management, but same time built up groundwater. The summer months were characterized by an alternation of homogeneous precipitation discrete and sunny days, with temperatures sometimes even above average. Finally in September it was characterized by an ideal climate with cool nights and warm, sunny days to the end of the harvest. The vines were thus able to better and grapes arrived in the cellar to a degree of ripeness. Overall the weather pattern balanced and adjust expressed obtaining wines of great elegance, good acidity and longevity, intense aromas and extremely complex.
Expressive aromas of spring flowers, citrus and peach, with bitter almonds and grass notes. Generous, rich, and deep flavors have freshness, framed by linear acidity from the moderate-to-cool growing season.
Pairs well with seafood, delicately flavored first courses, white meats and grilled fish. This wine stands up well to spices, especially Asian.
GRAPES: 100% Grillo
APPELLATION: Terre Siciliane IGP
ACIDITY: 5.60 g/l
AGING: Steel tanks
points of distinction
- Feudo Maccari’s vineyards have calcareous, lime-rich soils that are best suited for making wines with great minerality and freshness.
- The vineyard’s close proximity to the sea, the hot temperatures driven by hot winds and the alberello vine training are all optimal growing conditions for Grillo, which has thrived here for millennia.
- Wines like this that show high acidity are great compliments to most foods.
about the grape +
This grape makes a wine straw-yellow and gold in color, with intriguing, intensely floral aromas and notes of citrus, peach, almonds and sweet grass. In the mouth, the wine is full, with rich, deep flavors, balance and freshness.
– Antonio Moretti, Owner
“A land of extreme sensations, perfumes, colors, extreme light and tastes, all at their maximum expression.”
- quick view Feudo Maccari Rosé IGP
- quick view Feudo Maccari Mahâris Sicilia DOC
- quick view Feudo Maccari Saia Sicilia DOC
- quick view Feudo Maccari Neré Nero d’Avola IGP
- quick view new Feudo Maccari Contrada Santo Spirito Animardente Etna DOC
- quick view new Feudo Maccari Contrada Santo Spirito Animalucente Etna DOC