Grapes: 100% Chardonnay
Situated in the northern Fuissé region, bordering on the hamlet of Pouilly, the Tournant de Pouilly vineyard of just under 2.5 acres lies on an east-facing slope. Old vines of an average 60 years old are planted along a narrow band of pearly slabs of fossilized oyster shells that twist their way between Fuissé and Pouilly, giving this wine a linear, mineral character. There is deep, limestone-rich silt and clay containing a few stones, as well. Fermentation takes place in oak barrels, of which 20% are new, and is followed by a period of six months’ ageing on fine lees.
Wine & Spirits2016 vintage
Wine Enthusiast2016 vintage
2016 saw an atypical harvest . The picking began on September 21st with a small team, collecting grapes from two perfectly ripe parcels. In order to allow the remaining vines the opportunity to benefit from the rain, the picking halted for a few days with the conclusion on September 27th. The ripeness levels were good and the weather was fine resulting in grapes with a lovely golden color and musts that were magnificent and structured. This was a small yield vintage, stemming from a spring-time hail storm, but you can expect a refreshing vibrance and liveliness from the 2016 vintage.
Aromas of grilled almonds and lime-leaf tea with notes of wax precede rich, luxurious flavors on the palate, balanced by precise minerality. The finish is particularly long and intense, and this wine can age for 10-15 years.
Spiced scallops with noodles, Turbot with hollandaise sauce, John Dory with Szechuan pepper, chicken with morels and aged Comté cheese.
GRAPES: 100% Chardonnay
ACIDITY: 4.21 g/l
AGING: 7 months in French oak barrels, 20% new, on fine lees
MALOLACTIC FERMENTATION: 31%
RESIDUAL SUGAR: 1.2 g/l
points of distinction
- Old vines average 60 years old, planted on narrow band of fossilized oyster shells between Fuissé and Pouilly, give a linear, mineral character
- Tête de Cru and Cuvée Hors-Classe are precursor to higher classification (Premier Cru) sites within appellation currently under consideration by INAO
- Can age for 10-15 years
vineyard details +
Tournant de Pouilly
Situated in the northern Fuissé region, bordering on the hamlet of Pouilly, the Tournant de Pouilly vineyard of just under one hectare lies on an east-facing slope. Old vines of an average 50 years old are planted along a narrow band of pearly slabs of fossilized oyster shells that twist their way between Fuissé and Pouilly, which give this wine a linear, mineral character. There is deep, limestone-rich silt and clay containing a few stones, as well.
about the grape +
Though it has a distinctive profile, Chardonnay reflects other factors such as soil composition and vinification technique. Chardonnay is a reliable, hardy and prolific vine whose only real vulnerabilities are frost and uneven development of fruit.
– Audrey Braccini, Winemaker
“Wine is the most beautiful and noble form of expression.”
- quick view new Domaine Ferret Pouilly-Fuissé Autour de la Roche
- quick view new Domaine Ferret Pouilly-Fuissé Clos des Prouges
- quick view Domaine Ferret Pouilly-Fuissé
- quick view Domaine Ferret Pouilly-Fuissé Tête de Cru Le Clos
- quick view Domaine Ferret Pouilly-Fuissé Tête de Cru Les Perrières
- quick view Domaine Ferret Pouilly-Fuissé Hors-Classe Les Ménétrières