Grapes: 100% Chardonnay
The Pouilly-Fuissé is a blend of only the best vineyard parcels with ten to thirty five-year-old vines from the Fuissé amphitheater and soils composed of limestone and clay. Each parcel was vinified separately to ensure the finest expression of the fruit. Half the wine was fermented in enameled tanks and half in two to four-year-old oak barrels. The wine was aged for ten months on lees in French oak barrels, not new, from Tronçais, Vosges and Nevers stave wood.
Wine Spectator2016 vintage
Tasting Panel2016 vintage
2016 saw an atypical harvest . The picking began on September 21st with a small team, collecting grapes from two perfectly ripe parcels. In order to allow the remaining vines the opportunity to benefit from the rain, the picking halted for a few days with the conclusion on September 27th. The ripeness levels were good and the weather was fine resulting in grapes with a lovely golden color and musts that were magnificent and structured. This was a small yield vintage, stemming from a spring-time hail storm, but you can expect a refreshing vibrance and liveliness from the 2016 vintage.
This wine shows a great balance between weight and freshness and an elegance derived from seamless minerality. Layers of subtle fruit notes come together with stone fruits, acacia flowers and spiced hazelnut butter. The finish is long, intense and spicy. This Pouilly-Fuissé's balance permits it to age gracefully.
Shellfish and mollusks, seafood risotto, grilled or pan-fried fish, veal cutlets with creamy sauces and cheeses, especially goat or hard cow milk cheeses.
GRAPES: 100% Chardonnay
ACIDITY: 4.10 g/l
AGING: Half the wine is aged in lined concrete tanks and the other in oak. No new oak used - instead 2nd to 5th use barrels.
MALOLACTIC FERMENTATION: 33%
RESIDUAL SUGAR: 1.3 g/l
points of distinction
- Over 42.5 acres of estate vineyards are among Pouilly-Fuissé's finest terroirs; 32.5 located in the Fuissé amphitheater and 10 near the Roche de Vergisson
- This area's clay and limestone soil is perfect for wines that are pure expressions of Chardonnay
about the grape +
Though it has a distinctive profile, Chardonnay reflects other factors such as soil composition and vinification technique. Chardonnay is a reliable, hardy and prolific vine whose only real vulnerabilities are frost and uneven development of fruit.
– Audrey Braccini, Winemaker
“Wine is the most beautiful and noble form of expression.”
- quick view Domaine Ferret Pouilly-Fuissé Tête de Cru Le Clos
- quick view Domaine Ferret Pouilly-Fuissé Tête de Cru Les Perrières
- quick view Domaine Ferret Pouilly-Fuissé Hors-Classe Les Ménétrières
- quick view Domaine Ferret Pouilly-Fuissé Hors-Classe Tournant de Pouilly
- quick view new Domaine Ferret Pouilly-Fuissé Clos des Prouges