Te Muna Road Vineyard Sauvignon Blanc 2016
Grapes: 100% Sauvignon Blanc
The grapes were partially hand harvested from the 100% Estate-owned Te Muna Road Vineyard, one of the most prestigious growing sites within the Martinborough region of New Zealand. The grapes are destemmed (85%) prior to fermentation in a combination of stainless steel tanks, French oak cuvees, and French oak barriques, using both indigenous and inoculated yeasts. The wine ages four months in French oak barriques, 3% new, before being fined, filtered and bottled.
Wine Spectator Advance2016 vintage
Wine Spectator Advance2016 vintage
With strong El Niño weather conditions predicted for the 2015/2016 growing season, many feared the worst for the 2016 harvest. Instead, what occurred was a nearly perfect growing season in Martinborough. Dry conditions were maintained throughout the season, which began with coolish weather during crop set and slow, even ripening as temperatures warmed. The white wines from this dry season do not reach the aromatic high points of 2014, but with fruit in immaculate condition we have wines with beautiful weight, texture and length and these wines display greater freshness than the 1998 Martinborough wines from the previous strong El Niño season.
Pale lemon straw color. Complex aromatics of white peach, lime, lemon blossom and Thai basil. A refreshing palate profile with nectarine and citrus notes that carry long across the palate to a refined, chalky and dry finish.
This wine pairs very well with all types of seafood and poultry. It is also a wonderful aperitif.
GRAPES: 100% Sauvignon Blanc
ACIDITY: 6.1 g/l
AGING: Aged 4 months in French oak barriques (3% New)
RESIDUAL SUGAR: 2.2 g/l
points of distinction
- The higher-elevation Te Muna Road Vineyard is harvested about a week later than sites in nearby Martinborough, resulting in grapes with terrific freshness and acidity.
- The vineyard's lower terrace has stony soils with limestone, excellent for Sauvignon Blanc.
- White wines from this vineyard show a distinctive fine, subtle and elegant texture.
about the grape +
Sauvignon Blanc has vivid, assertive aromas and flavors of gooseberries, citrus, herbs framed by tangy acidity. Oak contact adds tropical fruit, vanilla, lanolin and toast notes.
– Matt Stafford, Chief Winemaker
I am fortunate to lead an extraordinary group of people who want to be part of creating something truly magnificent that successive generations can admire and enjoy for years to come. I love our great estates and feel a strong connection to their complexities and subtleties.
- quick view new Craggy Range Winery Martinborough Pinot Noir
- quick view new Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Craggy Range Winery Aroha Pinot Noir
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Craggy Range Winery Kidnappers Vineyard Chardonnay
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Craggy Range Winery Te Kahu Gimblett Gravels Vineyard
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Craggy Range Winery Te Muna Road Vineyard Pinot Noir
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Craggy Range Winery Sophia Gimblett Gravels Vineyard
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Craggy Range Winery Le Sol Gimblett Gravels Vineyard
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Craggy Range Winery Gimblett Gravels Vineyard Syrah