Sophia Gimblett Gravels Vineyard 2015
/ Hawkes Bay
Grapes: 73% Merlot, 14% Cabernet Sauvignon, 13% Cabernet Franc
Produced entirely from Craggy Range’s Gimblett Gravels Vineyard, nestled on the right bank of the Ngaruroro River, the 2011 Sophia is a blend of the very best Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon and Cabernet Franc parcels of the vineyard. The grapes were hand harvested and destemmed before fermenting in closed stainless steel tanks. The wine then spent 19 months maturing in 37% new French barriques.
Wine Spectator2015 vintage
Planet Grape2015 vintage
The third of three consecutive exceptional vintages. After two great years in 2013 and 2014, the 2015 season started with a cool spring where the vines had to be protected from late night frosts. Combined with persistent North West winds the flowering for Merlot was delayed, but proceeded under ideal sunny dry conditions throughout the summer. Despite generally cool temperatures throughout the summer, there was a warm, dry spell that helped shift ripening back toward normal harvest dates. The Gimblett Gravels Vineyard fruit was harvested 10 days later than normal, but yielded exceptional quality especially in our Merlot and Cabernet Franc.
Deep darkest red. Complex aromatic profile with notes of ripe plum, cassis, dried rose and spice from the finest French Oak. The wine exhibits a wonderful depth of dark red fruits whilst maintaining an enticing level of freshness across the palate. Layered, youthful and persistent, this is a classically composed wine.
An excellent companion to roast beef and steak as well as lamb dishes.
GRAPES: 73% Merlot, 14% Cabernet Sauvignon, 13% Cabernet Franc
APPELLATION: Hawkes Bay
ACIDITY: 5.7 g/L
AGING: Matured for 19 months in closed top French oak cuves
points of distinction
- The Gimblett Gravels Vineyard is widely regarded as New Zealand's best terroir for Bordeaux blends and Syrah.
- In blind tastings, Sophia has repeatedly placed ahead of top First Growth Bordeaux.
- Gimblett Gravels is covered by stones that absorb the day's heat to radiate it at night, promoting exceptional ripeness.
about the grape +
Cabernet Franc usually shows tart red cherry and wild currant aromas and flavors with an herbal, spicy character. In the Loire, esp. Chinon and Saumur-Champigny, this grape shows firm minerality.
Cabernet Sauvignon is adaptable to various growing conditions, and is known for its low yield and late ripeness. It generally produces full-bodied wines with substantial acidity and tannins.
Merlot makes plump, succulent wines to drink young or opulently massive wines for aging. Has silky, blackberry and currant fruit, with spice, earth, tobacco and chocolate notes, and soft tannins.
Petit Verdot makes a dark, firmly structured, tannic wine with superbly balancing acidity, and fresh, full flavors and aromas of spice, pepper and black fruits with notes of violets.
– Matt Stafford, Chief Winemaker
I am fortunate to lead an extraordinary group of people who want to be part of creating something truly magnificent that successive generations can admire and enjoy for years to come. I love our great estates and feel a strong connection to their complexities and subtleties.
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Craggy Range Martinborough Pinot Noir
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Craggy Range Aroha Pinot Noir
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Craggy Range Te Muna Sauvignon Blanc
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Craggy Range Kidnappers Vineyard Chardonnay
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Craggy Range Te Kahu Gimblett Gravels Vineyard
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Craggy Range Te Muna Road Vineyard Pinot Noir
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Craggy Range Le Sol Gimblett Gravels Vineyard
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Craggy Range Gimblett Gravels Vineyard Syrah