Le Sol Gimblett Gravels Vineyard 2013
/ Hawkes Bay
Grapes: 100% Syrah
Gimblett Gravels Vineyard’s stony soils keep the growth and cropping of the old clone Syrah vines in check and provide warmth in the autumn, both critical factors in developing the enormous character and presence of the wine. The grapes were hand harvested and destemmed before undergoing fermentation in open-top oak vessels and stainless steel tanks. The wine spent 18 months maturing in 32% new French oak barrels.
2013 was an ideal growing season, and the winery’s best one yet. A relatively mild budburst and flowering period established low-moderate crops in the Merlot and Chardonnay. More favorable conditions occurred during these early growth stages for Cabernet Sauvignon and Syrah. December and January were very dry and warm with a record number of days exceeding 86ºF during December. Hawke’s Bay plunged into a significant drought period. Water stress was delayed until January as the warm periods in December provided early indications of the vines wilting. No significant rains occurred throughout the growing season although there was some just after the onset of ripening. Overall rainfall was close to half of the long-term average. As usual in Hawke’s Bay, excessive heat was avoided as harvest approached and the retention of natural acidity without rapid sugar accumulation was achieved. Chardonnay harvest commenced on the 8th of March, Merlot on the 18th of March and Syrah on the 1st of April. Harvest was completed for all varieties on the 13th of April.
Deep red with vibrant purple hues. Complex brooding Syrah aromatics of boysenberry, blackpepper, camphor and garrigue herbs. The palate is all about finesse with dark fruit richness beautifully integrated with fine tannins and acidity to give a finish which is long and dry.
This wine pairs best with wild game dishes.
GRAPES: 100% Syrah
APPELLATION: Hawkes Bay
ACIDITY: 5.8 g/l
AGING: Aged for 18 months in French oak barrels.
points of distinction
- Like southern Rhône vineyards, Gimblett Gravels is covered by stones that absorb the day's heat to radiate it at night, promoting exceptional ripeness.
- Shows alluring, Rhône-style aromas and flavors of blue and black fruits, exotic spices and black pepper.
- Red wines from the Gimblett Gravels vineyard have a rich, ripe and elegant style, and fine tannins.
about the grape +
Syrah has seductively dense, rich, chewy black berry aromas and flavors, with notes of tar, wood smoke, bacon, leather, chocolate, and sometimes violets. The tannins are firm yet elegant.
– Julian Grounds, Winemaker
I am fortunate to lead an extraordinary group of people who want to be part of creating something truly magnificent that successive generations can admire and enjoy for years to come. I love our great estates and feel a strong connection to their complexities and subtleties.
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Craggy Range Martinborough Pinot Noir
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Craggy Range Aroha Pinot Noir
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Craggy Range Te Muna Sauvignon Blanc
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Craggy Range Kidnappers Vineyard Chardonnay
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Craggy Range Te Kahu Gimblett Gravels Vineyard
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Craggy Range Te Muna Road Vineyard Pinot Noir
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Craggy Range Sophia Gimblett Gravels Vineyard
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Craggy Range Gimblett Gravels Vineyard Syrah