Les Cassagnes Côtes-du-Rhône Villages 2015
Grapes: 60% Grenache, 30% Syrah, 10% Mourvedre
A wine originating from a Domaine vineyard in Serignan-du-Comtat, north of Orange and Avignon. The 30+ year old vineyard combines all traditional grape varietals for the Southern Rhône Valley: Grenache, Syrah, and Mourvèdre. The vines are planted in soils deep in calcareous sandstones well sited on gently undulating slopes. The wine is aged in traditional concrete and stainless steel vats.
Wine Enthusiast2015 vintage
Blue Lifestyle2015 vintage
2015 was a generous vintage. Warm weather and storms arrived at the right moment allowing 2015 in Châteauneuf-du-Pape to be described as generous in every sense of the term. Generous in color, structure and maturity. But also generous in quantity, which is quite rare in this appellation, which is well known for the weakness of its yields. After a normal spring, in terms of rainfall (6.7 inches), summer was dry and hot with temperatures exceeding 99° F. From mid-June to mid-August rainfalls were less than 2 inches, which is low, but more than in 2010 and 2011 which were already among the sunniest years. The 2015 crop maturity was made under good conditions with storms in mid-September not affecting the quality of the vintage. The harvest was spread over a number of weeks, which allowed fermentations to take place easily from beginning to end, giving birth to rich, very balanced wines and with beautiful complexity.
Deep red color with a purple border. On the nose, intense red fruits with some black cherry notes. A beautiful freshness on the palate, with roundness. The finish is long with candied red fruit notes highlighted by sweet spices. Fresh, silky finish.
Grilled pork chops with ratatouille, grilled prime rib of veal, goat cheeses.
GRAPES: 60% Grenache, 30% Syrah, 10% Mourvedre
ACIDITY: 5.16 g/l
points of distinction
- Cotes du Rhone Villages Rouge, produced under the La Nerthe label
- All vineyards are certified “organically grown” by Ecocert
- Vineyard is 30+ years old, south-facing and benefits from the Mistral winds that blow and protect the vines and provide a perfect maturity
about the grape +
Grenache is loaded with dense, lusty aromas and flavors of black cherry, blackcurrant, jam, pepper and licorice, with a palate-coating texture and high alcohol.
Mourvèdre makes big, meaty, rustic wines high in alcohol, acidity and tannin, with moderate black fruit characters. Shows aromas and flavors of wild Provençal herbs, leather, mushrooms and barnyard.
Syrah has seductively dense, rich, chewy black berry aromas and flavors, with notes of tar, wood smoke, bacon, leather, chocolate, and sometimes violets. The tannins are firm yet elegant.
– Ralph Garcin, Winemaker
One of Châteauneuf-du-Pape’s oldest estates, archives affirm Château La Nerthe’s existence as early as 1560 and suggest an even more distant past dating to the dawn of the region’s wine culture in the 12th century.
- quick view new Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Château La Nerthe Châteauneuf-du-Pape Rouge
- quick view new Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Château La Nerthe Cuvée des Cadettes Châteauneuf-du-Pape Rouge
- quick view new Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Château La Nerthe Châteauneuf-du-Pape Rouge Private Reserve 2007
- quick view new Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Château La Nerthe Châteauneuf-du-Pape Blanc
- quick view new Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Château La Nerthe Clos de Beauvenir Châteauneuf-du-Pape Blanc
- quick view new Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Château La Nerthe Les Cassagnes Côtes-du-Rhône Rosé
- quick view new Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Château La Nerthe Prieuré de Montézargues Tavel