Cuvée des Cadettes Châteauneuf-du-Pape 2012
Grapes: 39% Syrah, 37% Grenache, 22% Mourvèdre
Cuvée des Cadettes is not a selection made in the cellar, but a wine crafted from a unique, 20 acre vineyard planted with 85 to 100 year old vines. This Cuvée is a cofermentation of hand harvested and hand sorted grenache, syrah and mourvèdre. The cuvasion begins with cold pre-fermentation maceration lasting 12 - 24 hours. Alcoholic fermentation occurs directly after maceration with wild yeast native to the vineyard. The intensity of pumping over and punching down is defined by tasting the fermenting juice to ensure the best extraction of the berry compounds. Maceration lasts 18 to 20 days, and the wines are racked into concrete tanks for malolactic fermentation. The wine is aged 12 months in 100% small French oak barrels and blending takes place shortly before bottling.
Wine Spectator2012 vintage
2011-2012 winter was very cold and dry. February started with two weeks of freezing temperatures and a strong mistral wind gusting up to 62mph. This weather negatively affected the vineyard, with many buds being partially or totally destroyed and numerous old vine stocks freezing. Spring was cool and humid with rain that restored the groundwater levels. Summer was very dry in the region unlike the rest of France. The two very hot weeks during mid-August helped finish ripening the grapes and harvest began at the end of August. This was another early harvesting year and the volume harvest was small due to the winter frost, coulure in the Grenache and the dry summer.
Dark garnet color with purple hints. The nose shows black cherry liqueur aromas with toasted notes and fruity scents of strawberries and balsamic. On the palate, beautiful richness, density and concentration of sandalwood, cedar, and cherry blossom are followed by a spicy finish. The aromatic complexity and elegance are both qualities that reveal the richness and balance of La Nerthe.
A wonderful pairing with red meat dishes, especially beef, lamb and venison. An ideal accompaniment to hearty casseroles or a rich, warm, winter stew.
GRAPES: 39% Syrah, 37% Grenache, 22% Mourvèdre
ACIDITY: 5.45 g/l
points of distinction
- Produced by one of Châteauneuf-du-Pape’s oldest and most storied estates
- Certified AB Organic – protecting the environment since 1998
- Estate grown, hand harvested, estate bottled
- Average vine age – 85+ years
about the grape +
Grenache is loaded with dense, lusty aromas and flavors of black cherry, blackcurrant, jam, pepper and licorice, with a palate-coating texture and high alcohol.
Mourvèdre makes big, meaty, rustic wines high in alcohol, acidity and tannin, with moderate black fruit characters. Shows aromas and flavors of wild Provençal herbs, leather, mushrooms and barnyard.
Syrah has seductively dense, rich, chewy black berry aromas and flavors, with notes of tar, wood smoke, bacon, leather, chocolate, and sometimes violets. The tannins are firm yet elegant.
– Ralph Garcin, Winemaker
One of Châteauneuf-du-Pape’s oldest estates, archives affirm Château La Nerthe’s existence as early as 1560 and suggest an even more distant past dating to the dawn of the region’s wine culture in the 12th century.
- quick view new Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Château La Nerthe Les Clavelles Châteauneuf-du-Pape Rouge
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Château La Nerthe Châteauneuf-du-Pape Rouge
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Château La Nerthe Châteauneuf-du-Pape Rouge Private Reserve 2007
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Château La Nerthe Châteauneuf-du-Pape Blanc
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Château La Nerthe Clos de Beauvenir Châteauneuf-du-Pape Blanc
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Château La Nerthe Les Cassagnes Côtes-du-Rhône Villages
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Château La Nerthe Les Cassagnes Côtes-du-Rhône Rosé
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Château La Nerthe Prieuré de Montézargues Tavel