Châteauneuf-du-Pape Rouge 2015
Grapes: 44% Grenache, 24% Mourvedre, 28% Syrah, 2% Cinsault, 2% Other
The terroir is typical for the region: vineyards run along a slope, at the top of which the vines dig their roots into soils of sandy-clay. On the surface there is a layer of the famous galets (large, round, well-worn stones that originated in the alps) having been carried down to the rhône by the glaciers of previous ice ages. The farther down the slope of the vineyard one travels, the more these stones dominate. All 13 of the permitted primary varietals are planted. Grenache dominates 62% of vineyards and the vines average over 40 years old. The wine is aged 12 months in a combination (50/50) of small French oak barrels and large French oak casks (‘Foudres’) and blending takes place shortly before bottling.
Wine Spectator2015 vintage
Blue Lifestyle2015 vintage
2015 was a generous vintage. Warm weather and storms arrived at the right moment allowing 2015 in Châteauneuf-du-Pape to be described as generous in every sense of the term. Generous in color, structure and maturity. But also generous in quantity, which is quite rare in this appellation, which is well known for the weakness of its yields. After a normal spring, in terms of rainfall (6.7 inches), summer was dry and hot with temperatures exceeding 99° F. From mid-June to mid-August rainfalls were less than 2 inches, which is low, but more than in 2010 and 2011 which were already among the sunniest years. The 2015 crop maturity was made under good conditions with storms in mid-September not affecting the quality of the vintage. The harvest was spread over a number of weeks, which allowed fermentations to take place easily from beginning to end, giving birth to rich, very balanced wines and with beautiful complexity.
Beautiful dark red color, deep and bright. On the nose black fruits dominate with remaining fresh aromas showing that grapes were harvested fully ripe. Very present, tannins are silky, fine and elegant. Château La Nerthe 2015 is well balanced, greedy, fruity, certainly aimed to age for years but also to be appreciated in its early youth, as were the famous vintages 1990 & 1998 in Châteauneuf du Pape
Slow cooked leg of lamb, beef stew, roasted duck fillet.
GRAPES: 44% Grenache, 24% Mourvedre, 28% Syrah, 2% Cinsault, 2% Other
ACIDITY: 4.91 g/l
points of distinction
- Produced by one of Châteauneuf-du-Pape’s oldest and most storied estates
- Certified AB Organic – protecting the environment since 1998
- Estate grown, hand harvested, estate bottled
- Average vine age – 40 years
about the grape +
Ripe and meaty over elegant, with rose and almond notes, Cinsault’s relatively low tannins typically relegate it to blends with other varieties, as with Châteauneuf-du-Pape and Tavel Rosé.
Grenache is loaded with dense, lusty aromas and flavors of black cherry, blackcurrant, jam, pepper and licorice, with a palate-coating texture and high alcohol.
Mourvèdre makes big, meaty, rustic wines high in alcohol, acidity and tannin, with moderate black fruit characters. Shows aromas and flavors of wild Provençal herbs, leather, mushrooms and barnyard.
Syrah has seductively dense, rich, chewy black berry aromas and flavors, with notes of tar, wood smoke, bacon, leather, chocolate, and sometimes violets. The tannins are firm yet elegant.
– Ralph Garcin, Winemaker
One of Châteauneuf-du-Pape’s oldest estates, archives affirm Château La Nerthe’s existence as early as 1560 and suggest an even more distant past dating to the dawn of the region’s wine culture in the 12th century.
- quick view new Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Château La Nerthe Cuvée des Cadettes Châteauneuf-du-Pape Rouge
- quick view new Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Château La Nerthe Châteauneuf-du-Pape Rouge Private Reserve 2007
- quick view new Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Château La Nerthe Châteauneuf-du-Pape Blanc
- quick view new Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Château La Nerthe Clos de Beauvenir Châteauneuf-du-Pape Blanc
- quick view new Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Château La Nerthe Les Cassagnes Côtes-du-Rhône Villages
- quick view new Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Château La Nerthe Les Cassagnes Côtes-du-Rhône Rosé
- quick view new Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Château La Nerthe Prieuré de Montézargues Tavel