Châteauneuf-du-Pape Blanc 2016
Grapes: Grenache Blanc, Roussanne, Clairette,Bourboulenc
Hand harvesting is done early in the morning to take advantage of the cooler temperatures, and grapes are sorted to remove any imperfect fruit. The whole grapes are slowly pressed for only premium juice extractions. Fermentation of the Roussanne based juice takes place in 228 liter barrels (1/3 new), and then ages on their lees. Wine from the other grape varietals is made in temperature controlled stainless steel vats and then stored to age on lees. The wine is aged 7 months in a combination (40/60) of French oak barrels and stainless steel vats, with blending taking place shortly before bottling.
San Francisco International Wine Competition2016 vintage
This year proved far less tricky in the Southern Rhône. So far, 2016 looks like a classic vintage, with most growers favoring it over 2015. Some coulure on Grenache, along with drought conditions that produced smaller berries with less juice meant lower yields, but other than that there was little to be concerned over. The growing season got off to an earlier start than in the north, without the excessive humidity. Summer arrived earlier as well, and flowering occurred under nearly ideal conditions. The second half of the season was warm and very dry.
A beautiful pale yellow color with green highlights. On the nose, expressive and complex with pear, pastry and candied citrus tones. Lovely freshness on the palate, with hints of white peach and dried candied fruits. The finish is long with floral notes, a touch of pineapple and green banana, all wrapped in a beautiful sweetness.
This elegant and complex white wine pairs beautifully with a wide variety of seafood dishes and can also stand up to lighter meat dishes such as roasted chicken or sautéed veal.
GRAPES: Grenache Blanc, Roussanne, Clairette,Bourboulenc
ACIDITY: 4.48 g/l
points of distinction
- Produced by one of Châteauneuf-du-Pape’s oldest and most storied estates
- Certified AB Organic – protecting the environment since 1998
- Estate grown, hand harvested, estate bottled
- Average vine age – 40 years
about the grape +
A late-ripening variety, Bourboulenc can be lean and neutral, but when picked at optimal ripeness, it has high natural acidity and shows fresh citrus and floral characters.
Vinified carefully, Clairette produces a light, floral and fruity wine. Used in sparkling wine and in blends, including Châteauneuf-du-Pape, Tavel Rosé, Côtes-du-Rhône and Lirac.
This grape can produce an attractive, fleshy, generously fruity wine with a fragrance of flowers and dill.
Roussanne is an elegant, complex wine of finesse, good acidity and balance. Has aromas and flavors of melon, white fruits, pears, tree blossoms and herbs. Shows honey and coffee notes with age.
– Ralph Garcin, Winemaker
One of Châteauneuf-du-Pape’s oldest estates, archives affirm Château La Nerthe’s existence as early as 1560 and suggest an even more distant past dating to the dawn of the region’s wine culture in the 12th century.
- quick view new Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Château La Nerthe Châteauneuf-du-Pape Rouge
- quick view new Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Château La Nerthe Cuvée des Cadettes Châteauneuf-du-Pape Rouge
- quick view new Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Château La Nerthe Châteauneuf-du-Pape Rouge Private Reserve 2007
- quick view new Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Château La Nerthe Clos de Beauvenir Châteauneuf-du-Pape Blanc
- quick view new Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Château La Nerthe Les Cassagnes Côtes-du-Rhône Villages
- quick view new Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Château La Nerthe Les Cassagnes Côtes-du-Rhône Rosé
- quick view new Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Château La Nerthe Prieuré de Montézargues Tavel