Grapes: 100% Gamay
Atop the hierarchy of Beaujolais Crus are Moulin-à-Vent and Morgon, with notable ageing potential. Morgon is robust and structured and can mature for a minimum 5-20 years. Purchased by Maison Louis Jadot in 2001, this south- to southeast-facing vineyard is situated on the slopes over the village of Villié Morgon. It covers 87.5 acres of the Morgon appellation, one of the 10 Crus of Beaujolais. This wine is vinified in vats for 10 to 20 days and then matured in oak barrels before bottling.
Tasting Panel2016 vintage
Wine Enthusiast2016 vintage
The 2016 growing season saw a little bit of everything: frequent rainfall, cool conditions, heat spikes, droughts and hail. The harvest began on September 19, stemming from an Indian Summer, the second-latest harvest in 25 years. The intensity, depth and structural elegance of the wines from Carquelin, Rochegrès, Thorins and Côte du Py paid testimony to the perfect harmony between Gamay and the volcanic terroirs of Beaujolais.
Very deep in color, this wine - blend of three single vineyards (Bellevue, Côte du Py & Roche noire) - shows a brilliant and large aromatic palette (spices, ripen black fruit). On the palate, the tannins are still a bit firm - which indicates the potential of ageing – and they are well balanced by a great tension.
A perfect partner for charcuterie, pasta in a rich cream sauce, pizza and pretty much any meat.
GRAPES: 100% Gamay
AGING: Aged in oak barrels for 12 months
RESIDUAL SUGAR: 0.5%
points of distinction
- One of the 10 Crus of Beaujolais
- Matures in oak barrels for 10 months, unusual for a Beaujolais
- This wine is perfect when young, but can also be cellared for 5 to 10 years
about the grape +
Gamay is loaded with bright, plump raspberry and cherry fruit, with notes of black pepper.
– Cyril Chirouze, Winemaker
“A good wine is a drink that tastes good; a great wine is alive.”
- quick view new Château des Jacques Fleurie
- quick view Château des Jacques Moulin-à-Vent
- quick view Château des Jacques Moulin-à-Vent Clos des Thorins
- quick view Château des Jacques Moulin-à-Vent La Roche
- quick view Château des Jacques Moulin-à-Vent Clos du Grand Carquelin
- quick view Château des Jacques Moulin-à-Vent Clos de Rochegrès
- quick view Château des Jacques Morgon Côte du Py