Vine Hill Ranch Cabernet Sauvignon 2013
/ Napa Valley
Grapes: 100% Cabernet Sauvignon
The fruit for this highly distinctive cabernet sauvignon comes from three special blocks of vines and two distinctive cabernet sauvignon clones (4 & 337) grown in the renowned Vine Hill Ranch in Napa Valley’s western benchlands near Oakville. We have purchased these grapes since 1981, and they have consistently produced singular, long-lived wines. Hand-harvested at night to ensure the fruit’s freshness and varietal purity, each of the three lots is separately fermented and barrel-aged. After assessing the distinctive personality of each wine, we blend the three to create a uniquely complex and intense cabernet sauvignon that speaks eloquently of its terroir.
Wine Spectator2009 vintage
Wine Spectator Insider2009 vintage
In 2013, a warm, dry spring initiated early bud-break, ensured trouble-free vine flowering and grape set, and led to a consistently mild summer that fostered slow, even ripening and characteristically concentrated flavors in our Vine Hill cabernet grapes. The fruit was night- and hand-harvested, for freshness and varietal intensity, between October 1st and October 3rd.
Characteristically dense, brooding and complex aromas of ripe blackberry, dark plum, cassis, licorice, violets and graphite pave the way for intense, powerful and amazingly concentrated boysenberry, blackberry, black plum and blackcurrant flavors, which take on intriguing spice, earth and mineral tones on the extremely long-lasting finish. Tightly structured, with firm, but well-integrated tannins and incredible depths of layered fruit, the 2013 Vine Hill Cabernet Sauvignon, like its 31 predecessors, will evolve beautifully over a decade or more of aging.
Excellent with rich red meats and game.
GRAPES: 100% Cabernet Sauvignon
APPELLATION: Vine Hill Ranch, Oakville
AGING: 21 months in French oak, 57% new
points of distinction
- 100% single-vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon from the Oakville appellation
- Each lot fermented and barrel matured separately to pinpoint fruit and terroir expression before blending
- Matured 21 months in French oak (57% new)
vineyard details +
Vine Hill Ranch Vineyard
Several special blocks of grapes grown in the acclaimed Vine Hill Ranch, on Oakville’s gently sloping western benchlands, yield the fruit for Cakebread’s single-vineyard wine of this name. The family has purchased grapes from Vine Hill Ranch owner Bob Phillips since 1981. The higher blocks of this vineyard have a sloping grade, gravel soil and mature vines for concentrated fruit; lower benchland blocks have deep, loamy soils and younger vines that lend energy and bright fruit to the wine.
about the grape +
Cabernet Sauvignon is adaptable to various growing conditions, and is known for its low yield and late ripeness. It generally produces full-bodied wines with substantial acidity and tannins.
– Stephanie Jacobs, Winemaker
“Our emphasis on fruit quality captures the expression of black fruit and rich dark chocolate in the wine.”
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Cakebread Cellars Napa Valley Sauvignon Blanc
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Cakebread Cellars Napa Valley Chardonnay
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Cakebread Cellars Napa Valley Chardonnay Reserve
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Cakebread Cellars Napa Valley Merlot
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Cakebread Cellars Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Cakebread Cellars Benchland Select Cabernet Sauvignon
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Cakebread Cellars Dancing Bear Ranch
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Cakebread Cellars Two Creeks Vineyards Pinot Noir