Napa Valley Sauvignon Blanc 2010
/ Napa Valley
Grapes: 91% Sauvignon Blanc, 4% Sémillon, 5% Sauvignon Musqué
The grapes were sourced from throughout Napa Valley, with most coming from estate vineyards in Rutherford, Calistoga and Carneros. In 2010, as in past vintages, the blend included small amounts of Sémillon (which enriches the wine’s midpalate, softens its acidity and contributes a pleasing citrus tone) and Sauvignon Musqué, an aromatic clone of Sauvignon Blanc that adds a bright, floral note to the wine’s bouquet. The fruit was night harvested and whole-cluster pressed to maximize the grape varieties’ character and minimize the extraction of astringent compounds from the skins. 88% of the juice was fermented in tank and 12% was fermented in neutral oak barrels. Then, 87% of the wine aged for 5 months in neutral French oak barrels to enrich its texture, aromas and flavors.
Wine & Spirits2010 vintage
Wine & Spirits
2010 was the latest in a string of cooler-than-normal growing seasons in Napa Valley. The season began with substantial rainfall, which pushed back bud break, flowering and grape set by several weeks. After an especially cool summer, heat spikes in late August kick-started full ripening. Cooler temperatures returned in early September, but classic Indian summer weather yielded grapes with mature, concentrated flavors at lower alcohol levels, resulting in a bevy of beautifully structured wines with fresh, elegant flavors.
An especially crisp and vibrant wine of medium body, offering bright honeydew melon, pink grapefruit, gooseberry and vanilla aromas and rich citrus, nectarine and melon flavors.
Wonderful as an aperitif, this wine pairs well with a wide range of foods, including fish and shellfish, Caesar salad, roasted poultry and vegetarian pasta.
GRAPES: 91% Sauvignon Blanc, 4% Sémillon, 5% Sauvignon Musqué
APPELLATION: Napa Valley
ACIDITY: 6.7 g/l
AGING: 87% for 5 months in French oak
MALOLACTIC FERMENTATION: none
points of distinction
- A brisk, lively, melon and citrus-flavored Sauvignon Blanc
- Very versatile as an aperitif or with fish, poultry, pasta, salads
- 2010 was a cooler year, resulting in greater structure in the wine.
about the grape +
Sauvignon Blanc has vivid, assertive aromas and flavors of gooseberries, citrus, herbs framed by tangy acidity. Oak contact adds tropical fruit, vanilla, lanolin and toast notes.
– Julianne Laks, Winemaker
“Our emphasis on fruit quality captures the expression of grapefruit, citrus, kiwi, guava, lime and melon in the wine.”
- quick view Cakebread Cellars Napa Valley Chardonnay
- quick view Cakebread Cellars Napa Valley Chardonnay Reserve
- quick view Cakebread Cellars Napa Valley Merlot
- quick view Cakebread Cellars Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon
- quick view Cakebread Cellars Benchland Select Cabernet Sauvignon
- quick view Cakebread Cellars Vine Hill Ranch Cabernet Sauvignon
- quick view Cakebread Cellars Dancing Bear Ranch Cabernet Sauvignon
- quick view Cakebread Cellars Anderson Valley Pinot Noir
- quick view Cakebread Cellars Lake County Zinfandel