Napa Valley Chardonnay 2016
/ Napa Valley
Grapes: 100% Chardonnay
In 2016, 91% of the grapes for the Napa Valley Chardonnay came from the cool-climate Carneros District at the southern tip of the valley, with 41% of the fruit from Estate Carneros vineyards. Carneros enjoys a long, cool growing season that fully ripens its grapes while retaining the bright acidity that gives this Napa Valley Chardonnay its freshness and vitality. The other 9% of the fruit came from the Oak Knoll district just north of the city of Napa, a slightly warmer, but still cool-to-mild appellation influenced by evening and morning fog. Blending fruit from the two regions results in a rich, yet elegant and complex wine. Grapes were hand-harvested at night to maximize freshness and varietal intensity, then whole-cluster-pressed, with the free-run juice transferred to French oak barrels for fermentation. Twenty-two percent of the wine was put through a secondary, malolactic fermentation to enrich flavors and texture. The 2016 Napa Valley Chardonnay aged sur lie (on the yeast lees) for eight months in 34% new French oak barrels, with periodic stirring of the lees to add an appealingly creamy, slightly yeasty tone to the wine’s crisp, vibrant fruit flavors.
San Francisco Chronicle Wine Competition2016 vintage
2016 saw the most abundant rainfall northern California had experienced since 1998. Nevertheless, a warm spring prompted early budbreak and a relatively cool summer, with slow, steady ripening, afforded perfect growing conditions, leading to an early harvest of Carneros Chardonnay grapes boasting terrific flavor concentration coupled with perfectly balanced acidity.
Bright, creamy, golden apple, white peach, pear and melon aromas, with hints of mineral, yeast and oak spice, introduce rich, full-bodied, apple, pear and melon flavors that persist throughout a lingering finish refreshed by vibrant citrus and mineral tones. With a round, supple texture, superb concentration, great depth, and balanced acidity, the 2016 Napa Valley Chardonnay is a treat now, but it will develop even greater complexity and appeal with 5-7 years’ aging.
Delicious with chicken, shellfish, seafood and grilled salads
GRAPES: 100% Chardonnay
APPELLATION: 91% Carneros district, 9% Napa Valley
ACIDITY: 0.67 g/100ml
AGING: 8 months sur lie in French oak barrels, 34% new, with periodic stirring of the lees
MALOLACTIC FERMENTATION: 22%
points of distinction
- A classic oak-aged Napa Valley Chardonnay
- Grapes are blended from top vineyards (41% from Estate vineyards) in Carneros and Oak Knoll
- Versatile with seafood, chicken and grilled salads
about the grape +
Though it has a distinctive profile, Chardonnay reflects other factors such as soil composition and vinification technique. Chardonnay is a reliable, hardy and prolific vine whose only real vulnerabilities are frost and uneven development of fruit.
– Stephanie Jacobs, Winemaker
“Napa Valley Chardonnay is concentrated, rich and ripe in style with fresh acidity and impeccable balance.”
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Cakebread Cellars Napa Valley Sauvignon Blanc
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Cakebread Cellars Napa Valley Chardonnay Reserve
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Cakebread Cellars Napa Valley Merlot
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Cakebread Cellars Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Cakebread Cellars Benchland Select Cabernet Sauvignon
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Cakebread Cellars Vine Hill Ranch Cabernet Sauvignon
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Cakebread Cellars Dancing Bear Ranch
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Cakebread Cellars Two Creeks Vineyards Pinot Noir