Single Vineyard Temis 2009
Grapes: 100% Malbec
Single Vineyard Temis was introduced in 2001, making Alta Vista the first Argentine winery to produce single vineyard wines. Utilizing their tailored Terroir Management® system for wine growing and winemaking, Alta Vista uses grapes grown in distinctive sites to craft these unique wines that show the true characteristics of each vineyard. Aged for 12 months in new French oak barrels and an additional 6 months in bottle.
This vineyard is sited at over 3,000 feet elevation in Valle de Uco, and the vines are over seventy years old. The soil is sandy with some silt, is very permeable and has boulders and a broken layer of limestone at a depth of 2.5 feet. Traditional irrigation is fed by water from the Andes Mountains. Temis has the coldest climate of all Alta Vista’s terroirs. Nights are quite cool and days are warm and soft, with constant breezes that help to keep the vines and grapes healthy. The grapes have a slow, gradual cycle of ripeness that is balanced and ideal. Planted in 1942, the selection massale vines are characterized by small clusters with small, compact grapes. Wine from this vineyard has an expressive bouquet of fresh fruits with floral notes, and soft, suave tannins in the mouth.
Wine Advocate2010 vintage
Wine Enthusiast2010 vintage
2009 was a dry vintage with good thermal amplitude. The winter climate set in early and was moderately cold, while during the spring, conditions were temperate and dry without Zonda winds. The summer was warm, with excellent thermal amplitude, similar to the 2007 vintage. Since 1998, 2009 has seen the driest period over the end of summer into autumn.
Exhibits fresh fruit and floral aromas before remarkably round flavors on the palate. With sweet tannins, the wine displays great balance between wine and wood characters and a long finish.
This wine is a great match with grilled beef steak, slow-roasted lamb or veal.
GRAPES: 100% Malbec
ACIDITY: 6.12 g/l
AGING: 12 months in new French oak barrels.
points of distinction
- Alta Vista was first to produce single vineyard vines in Argentina.
- Old vineyard planted in 1942.
- Low yields of only 1 bottle per vine.
- Alta Vista has received no rating lower than 91 from major wine publications since vintage 2006.
about the grape +
Well-made Malbec is a dark, perfumed wine with rich, blackberry and damson plum fruit, aromas of violets and tobacco, and ripe, juicy tannins. In France, may be mineral, structured and austere.
Alta Vista's Terroir Expression Winemakers® became the first in Argentina to produce single vineyard Malbec wines, each representing the unique characteristics of their high elevation, estate vineyards.
- quick view new Alta Vista Alto
- quick view new Alta Vista Single Vineyard Alizarine
- quick view new Alta Vista Single Vineyard Serenade
- quick view new Alta Vista Terroir Selection Malbec
- quick view new Alta Vista Premium Malbec
- quick view new Alta Vista Premium Cabernet Sauvignon
- quick view new Alta Vista Premium Torrontés
- quick view new Alta Vista Classic Malbec
- quick view new Alta Vista Classic Cabernet Sauvignon
- quick view new Alta Vista Classic Chardonnay
- quick view new Alta Vista Classic Torrontés