Premium Torrontés 2012
Grapes: 100% Torrontés
Great wines are produced in unique places. Alta Vista’s Torrontes vineyards are situated in the best terroirs of Salta, at 5,400 feet above sea level. Each vineyard receives expertise that is tailored to each grape variety via specific treatments called Terroir Management®. The wine is made from destemmed grapes that are gently pressed to avoid harsh phenolics and vinified in temperature-controlled stainless steel tank and without malolactic fermentation to preserve the grape’s vibrant aromas and fresh acidity. The wine is aged on the lees in steel tank.
Wine Spectator2012 vintage
International Wine Cellar2012 vintage
For Mendoza’s high altitude vineyards, 2012’s particularly warm temperatures produced average-to-low yields of a disease-free crop. Winter was very windy and dry, with little snow or rain. Winter was very windy and dry, as was the beginning of spring. The end of November brought crucial rainfall. Budding came late and the spring brought strong winds that affected flowering, especially in Uco Valley. Summer and autumn were quite hot and dry, yet thermal amplitude was normal. 2012 was a late, gentle vintage for those who kept yields low. Mendoza’s high January heat partially blocked photosynthesis and a gentle, rainy April resulted in no dehydrated berries and lower alcohol wines. From a small crop of excellent fruit, entry and mid-level wines are above average. High-end red wines need long maceration in tank to express the vintage. Top wines have exceptional balance and should surpass the quality of 2009 and 2010.
With delicate floral aromas, this wine has fresh, lively flavors that are clean, energizing and easy to drink.
This wine pairs wonderfully with grilled fish, fresh shellfish and focaccia topped with tapenade.
GRAPES: 100% Torrontés
ACIDITY: 7.0 g/L
AGING: The wine is aged on the lees in steel tank.
MALOLACTIC FERMENTATION: None.
points of distinction
- Estate grapes come from Argentina’s best terroirs: Malbec and Cabernet from Luján de Cuyo and Uco Valley in Mendoza, Torrontes from Cafayate in Salta.
- Each vineyard receives Terroir Management® treatments.
- Aging on the lees gives the wine more complexity.
about the grape +
Torrontés produces a wine with high acidity, and intriguing, assertively floral, stone fruit, spice and jasmine-like aromas similar to Muscat.
Alta Vista's Terroir Expression Winemakers® became the first in Argentina to produce single vineyard Malbec wines, each representing the unique characteristics of their high elevation, estate vineyards.
- quick view Alta Vista Alto
- quick view Alta Vista Single Vineyard Alizarine
- quick view Alta Vista Single Vineyard Serenade
- quick view Alta Vista Single Vineyard Temis
- quick view Alta Vista Terroir Selection Malbec
- quick view Alta Vista Estate Malbec
- quick view Alta Vista Estate Cabernet Sauvignon
- quick view Alta Vista Rosé
- quick view Alta Vista Classic Malbec
- quick view Alta Vista Classic Cabernet Sauvignon