Estate Malbec 2016
Grapes: 100% Malbec
Great wines are produced in unique places. Alta Vista’s 516 acres of estate vineyards are situated in the best terroirs of Mendoza, at a minimum of 3,200 feet above sea level. Each vineyard receives expert treatment tailored to each individual grape variety via specific methods called Terroir Management®. The wine undergoes long pre- and post-fermentation macerations, to extract optimal aromas and color, and to enhance the volume and quality of the tannins. Half the wine is aged for 12 months in 100% French oak barrels, followed by an additional 4 months aging in bottle prior to release from the winery.
Tasting Panel2016 vintage
International Women's Wine Competition2016 vintage
The 2016 vintage was an elegant vintage for Mendoza marked by a cooler than normal growing season that created conditions for the grapes to have a long, slow maturation process leading to even ripening across the vineyards despite yields being slightly lower. As the summer progressed, rains from El Nino continued to challenge the team to focus on proper vineyard management techniques. At the end of the season, a long dry spell allowed the grapes to reach full maturity about 20 days later than normal. The result were clusters that reached full phenolic maturity and structure with a nice racy acidity from the cooler temperatures.
Deep red color with ruby hues. Intense in nose, with ripe red fruit aroma, such as plum, and spices. It is round, silky and has great concentration in mouth. To be served slightly chilled between 59ºF and 61ºF. Can be cellared up to 7 years.
Pairs wonderfully with steak, venison, mushrooms, bacon and hearty stews.
GRAPES: 100% Malbec
ACIDITY: 6.38 g/l
RESIDUAL SUGAR: 2.24 g/l
points of distinction
- 100% Estate Grown
- Grapes come from Luján de Cuyo and Uco Valley in Mendoza
- Each vineyard receives Terroir Management® treatments
- Extended aging in oak gives the wine more structure
- Low yields of only 1.5 bottles per vine
about the grape +
Well-made Malbec is a dark, perfumed wine with rich, blackberry and damson plum fruit, aromas of violets and tobacco, and ripe, juicy tannins. In France, may be mineral, structured and austere.
Alta Vista's Terroir Expression Winemakers® became the first in Argentina to produce single vineyard Malbec wines, each representing the unique characteristics of their high elevation, estate vineyards.
- quick view Alta Vista Alto
- quick view Alta Vista Single Vineyard Alizarine
- quick view Alta Vista Single Vineyard Serenade
- quick view Alta Vista Single Vineyard Temis
- quick view Alta Vista Terroir Selection Malbec
- quick view Alta Vista Estate Cabernet Sauvignon
- quick view Alta Vista Estate Torrontés
- quick view Alta Vista Rosé
- quick view Alta Vista Classic Malbec
- quick view Alta Vista Classic Cabernet Sauvignon