Estate Malbec 2014
Grapes: 100% Malbec
Great wines are produced in unique places. Alta Vista’s 516 acres of estate vineyards are situated in the best terroirs of Mendoza, at 3,200 feet above sea level. Each vineyard receives expertise that is tailored to each grape variety via specific treatments called Terroir Management®. The wine undergoes long pre- and post-fermentation macerations, to extract optimal aromas and color, and to enhance volume and quality of the tannins, respectively. Half the wine is aged for 12 months in 100% French oak barrels, followed by 4 months in bottle.
Wine Enthusiast2014 vintage
The 2014 vintage in Mendoza was late due to uncommonly cold months of February and March, after an extremely hot and dry summer. Fortunately, no hail storms damaged the vineyards this year. The Valle de Uco vineyards produced more than their historical average while Lujan de Cuyo vineyards experienced a low production. Patience was key in achieving good maturity for the grapes – the reds show above average intensity of aromas and a good acidity. The alcohol content in the wines is slightly lower than usual. The 2014 harvest produced very good wines.
Ruby-colored, with complex, ripe, red fruit aromas and spicy nuances, this Estate Malbec is round, with soft tannins and good concentration in the mouth.
This wine pairs well with grilled pork tenderloin, lamb and veal with fresh herbs.
GRAPES: 100% Malbec
ACIDITY: 6.60 g/l
AGING: 50% of the volume in French oak for 12 months
MALOLACTIC FERMENTATION: Yes
RESIDUAL SUGAR: 2.40 g/l
points of distinction
- 100% Estate Grown
- Grapes come from Luján de Cuyo and Uco Valley in Mendoza
- Each vineyard receives Terroir Management® treatments
- Extended aging in oak gives the wine more structure
- Low yields of only 1.5 bottles per vine
about the grape +
Well-made Malbec is a dark, perfumed wine with rich, blackberry and damson plum fruit, aromas of violets and tobacco, and ripe, juicy tannins. In France, may be mineral, structured and austere.
Alta Vista's Terroir Expression Winemakers® became the first in Argentina to produce single vineyard Malbec wines, each representing the unique characteristics of their high elevation, estate vineyards.
- quick view Alta Vista Alto
- quick view Alta Vista Single Vineyard Alizarine
- quick view Alta Vista Single Vineyard Serenade
- quick view Alta Vista Single Vineyard Temis
- quick view Alta Vista Terroir Selection Malbec
- quick view Alta Vista Estate Cabernet Sauvignon
- quick view Alta Vista Estate Torrontés
- quick view Alta Vista Rosé
- quick view Alta Vista Classic Malbec
- quick view Alta Vista Classic Cabernet Sauvignon
- quick view Alta Vista Classic Chardonnay
- quick view Alta Vista Classic Torrontés