Estate Malbec 2013
Grapes: 100% Malbec
Great wines are produced in unique places. Alta Vista’s 516 acres of estate vineyards are situated in the best terroirs of Mendoza, at 3,200 feet above sea level. Each vineyard receives expertise that is tailored to each grape variety via specific treatments called Terroir Management®. The wine undergoes long pre- and post-fermentation macerations, to extract optimal aromas and color, and to enhance volume and quality of the tannins, respectively. Half the wine is aged for 12 months in 100% French oak barrels, and 4 months in bottle.
Wine Spectator2013 vintage
Wine Advocate2013 vintage
The 2013 harvest was characterised by a good crop. A long, cool growing season produced what many winemakers are calling fresh wines. Up and down temperatures tested winemakers’ patience and required long hang times for grapes to reach full maturation. Malbec, which dominates the country’s quality wine production, was able to fully ripen, yet cool temperatures, especially at night, helped preserve the grape’s intense acidity and aromatics. Much needed spring rains and an absence of a major frost led to a good fruit set as Alta Vista winemakers reported normal to 25 percent higher yields. Hail damage, a regular threat in Mendoza’s high-altitude vineyards, was minimal.
Ruby-colored, with complex ripe red fruits aromas and spicy nauces, this Estate Malbec is round, with soft tannins and good concentration in the mouth.
This wine pairs well with grilled pork tenderloin, lamb and veal with fresh herbs.
GRAPES: 100% Malbec
ACIDITY: 6.30 g/l
AGING: 50% of the volume in French oak for 12 months.
MALOLACTIC FERMENTATION: Yes
RESIDUAL SUGAR: 2.39 g/l
points of distinction
- 100% Estate Grown
- Grapes come from Luján de Cuyo and Uco Valley in Mendoza
- Each vineyard receives Terroir Management® treatments
- Extended aging in oak gives the wine more structure
- Low yields of only 1.5 bottles per vine
about the grape +
Well-made Malbec is a dark, perfumed wine with rich, blackberry and damson plum fruit, aromas of violets and tobacco, and ripe, juicy tannins. In France, may be mineral, structured and austere.
Alta Vista's Terroir Expression Winemakers® became the first in Argentina to produce single vineyard Malbec wines, each representing the unique characteristics of their high elevation, estate vineyards.
- quick view Alta Vista Alto
- quick view Alta Vista Single Vineyard Alizarine
- quick view Alta Vista Single Vineyard Serenade
- quick view Alta Vista Single Vineyard Temis
- quick view Alta Vista Terroir Selection Malbec
- quick view Alta Vista Estate Cabernet Sauvignon
- quick view Alta Vista Estate Torrontés
- quick view Alta Vista Rosé
- quick view Alta Vista Classic Malbec
- quick view Alta Vista Classic Cabernet Sauvignon
- quick view Alta Vista Classic Chardonnay
- quick view Alta Vista Classic Torrontés