Classic Malbec 2014
Grapes: 100% Malbec
Alta Vista’s Classic Malbec exhibits the true character of its grape variety. Fresh and intense, this wine’s aromas and flavors provide an excellent introduction to the fresh, fruit-forward characteristics and overall quality of wines from Argentina. Hand-picked grapes are carefully separated from the stems. Fermentation takes place with selected yeast over a period of 7 days, with frequent pumping over, at a controlled temperature of 78ºF-82ºF. After fermentation, the wine undergoes 10 days of extended maceration to enhance volume and quality of the tannins. The wine is aged in French oak for 6 months.
Ultimate Wine Challenge2014 vintage
The 2014 vintage in Mendoza was late due to uncommonly cold months of February and March, after an extremely hot and dry summer. Fortunately, no hail storms damaged the vineyards this year. The Valle de Uco vineyards produced more than their historical average while Lujan de Cuyo vineyards experienced a low production. Patience was key in achieving good maturity for the grapes – the reds show above average intensity of aromas and a good acidity. The alcohol content in the wines is slightly lower than usual. The 2014 harvest produced very good wines.
This wine has an intense nose, with aromas of red fruit, particularly plums, and with vanilla notes and subtle coffee touches resulting from its storage in oak. On the palate one finds a freshness and soft, rounded tannins, recalling those fruity sensations in the nose.
This wine is quite approachable, fun and easy-to-drink, perfect for every-day consumption and for relaxed, casual foods like Panini sandwiches, pizza and beef or pork empanadas.
GRAPES: 100% Malbec
ACIDITY: 5.90 g/l
AGING: French Oak for 6 months
RESIDUAL SUGAR: 2.20 g/l
points of distinction
- Perfect introduction to the best of Argentina
- All grapes are hand-harvested
- Fruit-forward and approachable
- Made for everyday consumption
- Great value
about the grape +
Well-made Malbec is a dark, perfumed wine with rich, blackberry and damson plum fruit, aromas of violets and tobacco, and ripe, juicy tannins. In France, may be mineral, structured and austere.
Alta Vista's Terroir Expression Winemakers® became the first in Argentina to produce single vineyard Malbec wines, each representing the unique characteristics of their high elevation, estate vineyards.
- quick view Alta Vista Alto
- quick view Alta Vista Single Vineyard Alizarine
- quick view Alta Vista Single Vineyard Serenade
- quick view Alta Vista Single Vineyard Temis
- quick view Alta Vista Terroir Selection Malbec
- quick view Alta Vista Estate Malbec
- quick view Alta Vista Estate Cabernet Sauvignon
- quick view Alta Vista Estate Torrontés
- quick view Alta Vista Rosé
- quick view Alta Vista Classic Cabernet Sauvignon