Classic Cabernet Sauvignon 2011
Grapes: 100% Cabernet Sauvignon
Alta Vista’s Classic Cabernet Sauvignon exhibits the true character of its grape variety. With ripe and spicy berries, this wine’s aromas and flavors provide an excellent introduction to the fresh, fruit-forward characters and overall quality of wines from Argentina. The wine is aged in American oak for 6 months.
The unusual 2011 vintage saw good winter rains in Mendoza. After a very dry September, a gentle spring brought one of the best flowering periods in recent years. December and January were comparable to '05, a notably cold vintage. February was the rainiest in decades, equaling Mendoza’s average rainfall for a year. Unusually cloudy conditions lowered average temperatures by 1°C. Rain ended in April, and the “Indian summer's” warm conditions accentuated wide day/night temperature shifts, helping acidity and balance. Frost brought random damage to some plots. After a mid-February start, most grapes were harvested from mid-April to early May and yields were a low 2.5 tons/acre. Red wines are very good to exceptional. Acidity levels are the highest recorded in Alta Vista history. A perfect March and warm April let grapes reach optimal ripeness. 2011 is similar to 2006 (fleshy, rich) and 2007 (acidity and no overripe fruit).
Displays layered aromas of ripe, red fruits with black pepper and toasted oak notes before juicy red berry flavors on the palate; medium-bodied and balanced. The wine has smooth tannins and a touch of oak on the long finish.
This wine has a charming character that is perfect for every day drinking and for casual, simple foods like burgers, beef or pork BBQ and grilled chicken wraps.
GRAPES: 100% Cabernet Sauvignon
ACIDITY: 5.89 g/l
AGING: 6 months in American oak barrels.
points of distinction
- Perfect introduction to the best of Argentina.
- Great value.
- All grapes are hand-harvested.
- Fruit-forward and approachable.
- Made for everyday consumption.
about the grape +
Cabernet Sauvignon is adaptable to various growing conditions, and is known for its low yield and late ripeness. It generally produces full-bodied wines with substantial acidity and tannins.
Alta Vista's Terroir Expression Winemakers® became the first in Argentina to produce single vineyard Malbec wines, each representing the unique characteristics of their high elevation, estate vineyards.
- quick view new Alta Vista Alto
- quick view new Alta Vista Single Vineyard Alizarine
- quick view new Alta Vista Single Vineyard Serenade
- quick view new Alta Vista Single Vineyard Temis
- quick view new Alta Vista Terroir Selection Malbec
- quick view new Alta Vista Premium Malbec
- quick view new Alta Vista Premium Cabernet Sauvignon
- quick view new Alta Vista Premium Torrontés
- quick view new Alta Vista Classic Malbec
- quick view new Alta Vista Classic Chardonnay