Falerno del Massico Rosso DOP
Falerno del Massico Rosso DOP is obtained from 80% Aglianico and 20% Piedirosso grapes harvested after careful selection in the hilly vineyards of San Castrese estate, on the slopes of Roccamonfina volcano, in the province of Caserta. Red Falerno's winemaking process involves a first destemming of the grapes, followed by must maceration at a temperature between 77 - 79 °F for about 20-25 days. During fermentation, daily pumping over and delestages are carried out and at the end of alcoholic and malolactic fermentations, 50% of the wine is aged in Allier barriques (new for one third) and the remaining 50% ages in traditional Slavonian oak barrels for a period of 10-12 months. Before being on the market, the wine undergoes a further period of refinement in the bottle. “Nec cellis ideo contende Falernis”, wrote Virgil in his Georgics: Don’t try to outdo Falernum.
Showing a deep red, its intense, rich bouquet is brimming with fragrant sweet violets, wild black berryfruit, cherry, blackberry, and raspberry. The palate is full-volumed, elegant, and finely balanced in all its component.
Oysters, lobster or any seafood-based dishes.
points of distinction
- Most famous wine in literature and history
- Aged for 12 months, 1/2 in oak barrique and the other 1/2 in Slovanian casks
about the grape +
Aglianico is a black grape grown in the southern regions of Italy, mostly Basilicata and Campania. The vine originated in Greece and was brought to the south of Italy by Greek settlers
– F.P. Avallone, Founder
Falerno is an immortal wine with more than 3000 years of history. It is known to be the most prestigious and valuble wine during the Roman age and the favorite drink of the Emperors and Poets.
- quick view new Villa Matilde Falerno del Massico Bianco DOP
- quick view new Villa Matilde Greco di Tufo DOCG
- quick view new Villa Matilde Fiano di Avellino DOCG
- quick view new Villa Matilde Falanghina Campania IGP
- quick view new Villa Matilde Aglianico Campania IGP
- quick view new Villa Matilde Taurasi DOCG