Among Tuscany’s oldest vineyards, Impero Vineyard (meaning “Empire’s Vineyard”) was planted in 1935 by His Royal Highness the Count of Turin, Vittorio Emanuele of Savoy. Terraces hammered out of marly limestone on a steep slope in the middle of the estate make up this famed vineyard. The soil is a mix of clay and gravel, rich in marl and rock, that gives a spectacular minerality to the Sangiovese grapes grown here. The approximately 7 acres of vineyards are situated at an altitude of 919 - 984 feet with excellent sun exposure and beneficial breezes. Diurnal temperature variation helps to develop the finest aromas, elegant and complex. To highlight this very special terroir, vinification begins with a very soft and long maceration (one month) to extract the polyphenols that give greater tannins and anthocyanins. To soften the tannins, but without being too invasive and without changing the original perfumes, the wine is aged in large barrels for 24 months and in bottle for several months. The wine is not filtered, to preserve all typical varietal notes and characteristics of Sangiovese.
Wine Spectator Insider2015 vintage
Intense aromas of leather and tobacco, along with notes of wildflowers such as Violet (typical aroma of Sangiovese) and fresh fruit like blackcurrant, strawberry, cherry, raspberry and blueberry. The tannins in the mouth are present but silky and velvety. Power and roundness complete a savory, mineral and endless finish.
Roasted meats, game and aged cheeses
points of distinction
- Planted in 1935, Impero is one of Tuscany’s oldest, most prestigious vineyards
- Terroir and crafting produce the finest expression of this 100% Sangiovese
about the grape +
Sangiovese has aromas of black cherries with alluring wood, smoke, tar and herbal notes. The best wines made from this grape have incredible complexity, depth, finesse and power.
– Antonio Moretti, Owner
“This is the place where I was born. A lovely valley protected from northern winds . . . an area that offers great wines . . .”
- quick view Tenuta Sette Ponti Poggio al Lupo Maremma IGT
- quick view Tenuta Sette Ponti Crognolo Toscana IGT
- quick view Tenuta Sette Ponti Oreno Toscana IGT
- quick view new Tenuta Sette Ponti Contrada Santo Spirito Animardente Etna DOC
- quick view new Tenuta Sette Ponti Contrada Santo Spirito Animalucente Etna DOC