/ Douro Valley Porto
Grapes: Touriga Nacional, Touriga Franca, Tinta Barroca, Tinta Roriz, Tinto Cão, Tinta Amarela
Scion is the world’s rarest tawny Porto. Made from the harvest of 1855, before the root louse phylloxera devastated the vineyards of Portugal, this remarkable Porto has been aged in cask since it was made, and was bottled only in 2010. It is bottled in a hand blown crystal decanter and encased in a 19th-century-style instrument case with dovetail joinery and handmade fittings and is accompanied by a limited-edition book telling its story.
Wine & Spirits1855 vintage
Robb Report1855 vintage
Dark brown in color with very intense, complex aromas of spice, dried flowers and herbs, honey, subtle fig and leather. On the palate it is full-bodied, with a searing acidity and unbelievable length.
Scion is a once-in-a-lifetime Porto that should be savored after a meal, alone or with nuts.
GRAPES: Touriga Nacional, Touriga Franca, Tinta Barroca, Tinta Roriz, Tinto Cão, Tinta Amarela
ACIDITY: 8.76 g/l
AGING: more than 150 years in neutral oak
RESIDUAL SUGAR: 189 g/l
points of distinction
- The most exclusive aged tawny Porto available in the world today
- One of the oldest and rarest wines ever sold
- A unique collector’s item
about the grape +
Tinta Amarela makes wines with intensely perfumed aromas of blackberry and tea, bold structure, deep color and excellent depth.
Used to make Port wines, this high yielding grape has very high sugar content, which makes wines with pronounced floral character, good structure and firm, ripe tannins.
This grape has blackberry, game and meaty aromas, and contributes longevity and exceptional elegance to the blend of Port wines.
Tinta Roriz produces deep-colored grapes of moderate acidity which make bold wines with firm tannins, excellent complexity and distinctive resin-like fragrance.
This grape has high tannins and is very aromatic; it lends structure and balance to Port wines. It shows intense fresh red fruit, earth and flower aromas, and is very fruity on the palate.
Touriga Nacional produces wine with finesse, body and warmth that is dark, concentrated, massively tannic and aromatic. It ages to show the complex aromas typically found in mature vintage port.
– Adrian Bridge, CEO
“Scion is an extraordinary Port which, having spent 15 decades in oak casks, may be one of the world’s only wines to survive from the pre-phylloxera era in faultless condition.”
- quick view new Taylor Fladgate 1969 Single Harvest Tawny
- quick view new Taylor Fladgate Chip Dry White Porto
- quick view new Taylor Fladgate Historical Collection Reserve Tawny
- quick view new Taylor Fladgate 325th Anniversary Reserve Tawny Port
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 1968 Single Harvest Tawny
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 1967 Single Harvest Tawny
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 1966 Single Harvest Tawny
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 1965 Single Harvest Tawny
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 1964 Single Harvest Tawny
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 1863 Single Harvest Tawny
- quick view Taylor Fladgate First Estate Reserve Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate Late Bottled Vintage Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 10 Year Old Tawny Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 20 Year Old Tawny Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 30 Year Old Tawny Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 40 Year Old Tawny Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate Fine Ruby
- quick view Taylor Fladgate Fine Tawny
- quick view Taylor Fladgate Classic Vintage Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate Quinta de Vargellas Vintage Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate Quinta de Vargellas Vinha Velha Vintage Porto