/ Douro Valley Porto
Quinta de Vargellas, celebrated as one of the top 100 vineyards in the world, has been part of the Taylor Fladgate estate for more than a century. It has the highest percentage of old vines of any quinta in the Douro, with 60% over 75 years old. For Quinta de Vargellas Vinha Velha Vintage Porto, grapes are harvested from the oldest plot of the vineyard, which yields a Vinha Velha (old vine) intensity. All grapes undergo the traditional foot treading method, ensuring their fullest expression. Fermentation is halted by the addition of grape spirits before all the residual sugar has been fermented, creating a sweet, fortified wine. Following two years in wood, the wines are bottled unfiltered and will continue maturing for decades. Due to low yields from the old vines, production is extremely limited.
Wine Advocate2011 vintage
Taylor Fladgate vintage Portos are renowned for their masculine, robust style. This wine shows powerful black fruit aromas and flavors and a firm tannic structure that will allow it to develop for decades in the bottle.
Most often served after a meal, alone or with cheese, nuts, dried fruits or dark chocolate.
points of distinction
- A single-quinta vintage Porto from the oldest vines in one of the most revered vineyards in the world: Quinta de Vargellas
- Taylor Fladgate vintage Porto is one of the most collectible, ageworthy Portos available.
- 100% foot-trodden
- Will develop for decades in the bottle
vineyard details +
Quinta de Terra Feita
Taylor, Fladgate's other vineyard is the A-rated, 217-acre Quinta de Terra Feita, a spectacular south-facing amphitheater on the west bank of the Pinhão River; this quinta contributes to the vintage port in declared years. Purchased in 1974, it has long been an important source of vintage quality wines for Taylor, Fladgate. It now has 126 acres planted to vines.
about the grape +
Tinta Amarela makes wines with intensely perfumed aromas of blackberry and tea, bold structure, deep color and excellent depth.
Used to make Port wines, this high yielding grape has very high sugar content, which makes wines with pronounced floral character, good structure and firm, ripe tannins.
This grape has blackberry, game and meaty aromas, and contributes longevity and exceptional elegance to the blend of Port wines.
Tinta Roriz produces deep-colored grapes of moderate acidity which make bold wines with firm tannins, excellent complexity and distinctive resin-like fragrance.
This grape has high tannins and is very aromatic; it lends structure and balance to Port wines. It shows intense fresh red fruit, earth and flower aromas, and is very fruity on the palate.
Touriga Nacional produces wine with finesse, body and warmth that is dark, concentrated, massively tannic and aromatic. It ages to show the complex aromas typically found in mature vintage port.
– David Guimaraens, Winemaker
“Traditional foot treading provides a clear quality edge, providing just the right level of extraction. Our policy of co-fermenting the traditional grape varieties is also key to producing balanced and complex wines.”
- quick view Taylor Fladgate First Estate Reserve Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate Late Bottled Vintage Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 10 Year Old Tawny Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 20 Year Old Tawny Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 30 Year Old Tawny Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 40 Year Old Tawny Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate Fine Ruby
- quick view Taylor Fladgate Fine Tawny
- quick view Taylor Fladgate Classic Vintage Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate Quinta de Vargellas Vintage Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate Scion