Late Bottled Vintage Porto
/ Douro Valley Porto
Taylor Fladgate introduced the LBV category in 1970 to satisfy the demand for a high-quality, ready-to-drink alternative to vintage port. The wines used to blend this LBV were drawn from a reserve of some of the best full-bodied red Ports, produced from grapes grown on estate vineyards and high-quality partner vineyards in the Cima Corgo and Douro Superior regions. Taylor Fladgate is an area leader in winemaking technology, as one of only three Porto producers to pioneer the development of piston fermenter techniques, called Port Toes, that extract significantly greater flavor and aroma than conventional pump-over fermentation. Fermentation is halted by the addition of grape spirits before all the residual sugar has been fermented, creating a sweet, fortified wine. Unlike vintage Ports (bottled after two years in wood, with further bottle aging), LBVs are bottled after four to six years in wood, giving them some of the characteristics of vintage Porto but with less time required for bottle aging.
Wine Spectator Advance2013 vintage
Blue Lifestyle2013 vintage
Offers powerful dark cherry, black fruit and herbal aromas and flavors of depth and complexity. Overall, the wine has a harmonious, authoritative character.
Pairs well with robust soft and hard cheeses, desserts made with chocolate, or fresh berries.
points of distinction
- A late bottled vintage Porto from the inventor of the category
- Matured for five years in casks, to integrate flavors and create smooth tannins
- LBVs offer some of the characteristics of vintage Porto but with less time required for bottle aging
about the grape +
Tinta Amarela makes wines with intensely perfumed aromas of blackberry and tea, bold structure, deep color and excellent depth.
Used to make Port wines, this high yielding grape has very high sugar content, which makes wines with pronounced floral character, good structure and firm, ripe tannins.
This grape has blackberry, game and meaty aromas, and contributes longevity and exceptional elegance to the blend of Port wines.
Tinta Roriz produces deep-colored grapes of moderate acidity which make bold wines with firm tannins, excellent complexity and distinctive resin-like fragrance.
This grape has high tannins and is very aromatic; it lends structure and balance to Port wines. It shows intense fresh red fruit, earth and flower aromas, and is very fruity on the palate.
Touriga Nacional produces wine with finesse, body and warmth that is dark, concentrated, massively tannic and aromatic. It ages to show the complex aromas typically found in mature vintage port.
– Adrian Bridge, CEO
“As the inventors of the late bottled vintage category, I believe it is important for us to set very high standards for this excellent Port.”
- quick view new Taylor Fladgate 325th Anniversary Reserve Tawny Port
- quick view new Taylor Fladgate 1968 Single Harvest Tawny
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 1967 Single Harvest Tawny
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 1966 Single Harvest Tawny
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 1965 Single Harvest Tawny
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 1964 Single Harvest Tawny
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 1863 Single Harvest Tawny
- quick view Taylor Fladgate First Estate Reserve Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 10 Year Old Tawny Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 20 Year Old Tawny Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 30 Year Old Tawny Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 40 Year Old Tawny Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate Fine Ruby
- quick view Taylor Fladgate Fine Tawny
- quick view Taylor Fladgate Classic Vintage Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate Quinta de Vargellas Vintage Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate Quinta de Vargellas Vinha Velha Vintage Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate Scion